First H&M, Farm Boy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutsqueezer

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Although I have only completed one very small wobbler engine to date, I have every intention of working my way up to an IC hit-and-miss engine. The one I have been looking at lately is Jerry Howell's Farm Boy. http://www.jerry-howell.com/FarmBoy.html?36,26 It doesn't require castings, is mostly aluminum and is classified as somewhat easy to build. "Easy" being a relative term of course.

I plan on building several more smaller steam/air engines before tackling this one but thought I might order the plans now for $24 so I can start some planning of my own as to what I'll be needing. The first thing I wonder about is whether or not my 7X10 mini lathe will handle the job. I'm pretty sure my mini milling machine will suffice for the milling tasks.

Anyone here have any experience with this engine? Is there some other engine that would be more appropriate for a first hit-and-miss?

-T

Getting the plans now seems like a good idea to me Trout, I've been threatening to 'graduate' to doing an IC engine, but thirty years on .....

I recall seeing one if not two build threads on this engine a while back. Search the database and they should come up.

Bill

Of course, I'm an old hand at searching forums, don't ask me why it didn't occur to me to do that first. Maybe because it's Friday and mentally I'm in Hawaii and the brain is going....going...going

Hey Trout....its also Friday the 13th...just blame it on that ;D

I replied to your post just before leaving work. Haqd I had more time I would have looked it up myself.

Bill

TS:
another option is to get the farm engine plan set by Hamilton "Dick" Upshur his daughter has the plans available the posted online cost goes to the Hamilton Uphire cancer research fund. I have a set of plans I got from Pete Renzetti at one of the shows the plan set is actually for 4 engines two horizontal and two vertical these plans were done in 1977 3/4 bore by 1" 3.5 inch fly wheels. stroke designed for lathe and drill press only by I am sure a shaper or mill would by handy . IIRC bar stock only needed
IIRC paid $15 for the packet.
I can not compare these to the farm boy as I have not seen Gerry Howells plans.
Tin

Back