First Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccstudent

Reaction score
Yesterday i started my first engine as a end of the semester project for school. ive taken on the "round piston in a square cylinder"

http://john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/07_square.pdf

here is what ive got so. the flywheel done. the crank is done, bearing is done, and the cylinder is almost done, as soon as i find the square tubing.

69507_555801054447045_821076427_n.jpg

more pics tomorrow

Looks like great choice for your first engine. Thanks for the link so we can
follow along. How goes the search for square tube? Feel free to ask for
help (PM me if you want) as there are several well stocked hobby shops
in the Denver area. It's no problem to send something ups.

Regards,
Maverick

Looks like great choice for your first engine. Thanks for the link so we can
follow along. How goes the search for square tube? Feel free to ask for
help (PM me if you want) as there are several well stocked hobby shops
in the Denver area. It's no problem to send something ups.

Regards,
Maverick

No luck my teacher went home today to look in his stockpile and he didnt have anything either. I'm wondering if instead of using a square tubing if i can use a normal "cylinder" and piston setup? any thoughts on this? i would need some help on figuring out how long to make it and what not. and if the exhaust valve would even work. my first one doesnt have to technically run off air. i used quite a bit of brass and aluminum and im going to polish the sh*t out of everything so more than anything it will probably just be a mantle piece. but obviously people get curious and would want everything to still function.

My metals supplier (M-Machine-Metals at Darlington, UK) has 0.5" square brass tube in 16swg, but this is probably not much use to you.

I think that Elmer's Square is similar if not identical to his Standby #19 engine other than that the latter has a more conventional round piston in a round cylinder configuration. You could presumably move to this design if the square tube proves difficult to obtain.

KInd regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

there is a guy on amazon or amazon itself has 1/2 brass tube but almost $ 30 for a 3 foot piece.
subtitute steel .
Tin

unfortunately this engine will not run. while drilling the 1/16" hole for the air supply to the top of the cylinder. i had two drill bits break on me. so with that, i turned the brass piece that you see next to my premature assembly. ive decided to flatten one side and attach that to the frame. so everything should still move, just not with air. oh well :rolleyes: and im also debating if i should trim the crank like the plans for practice? or since it wont even make a difference not even bother with it?? thoughts??

It is a very long 1/16" hole and has to be drilled with great care.

We all scrap parts from time to time and have to remake - why not make the remaining parts, and if all goes well make another frame?

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

my only problem with that is, i dont think there are any more pieces 3/8" thick. meaning i would have to mill down our next size(.5") and my teacher wouldnt be too happy with that. like i said. im fine with this one not running and this weekend im gonna be going to my buddies house and we are going to start this(see attachment) its a little bigger and the parts arent as thin. so i know for sure this one will be a runner.

View attachment Simple Oscilating.pdf

CC now you see and appreciate the convince of kits.
It is usually a good Idea to gather material first including screws. It is a pain to say the least to thread something 10-24 only to find 10-32 everywhere and 10-24 like hens teeth.
DAMHIKT.
in school you probably need to follow the print at home I have often adapted the plan to material on hand.

Tin

I've been thinking about getting a kit from littlemachineshop actually. Soon as i get more money

use the alum trick. a steel drill or tap can be removed from brass or aluminum by simmering it in a mix of alum and water. dissolve as much alum as possible in enough water to cover the part and bring to a simmer. will take anywhere from an hour to 12 hours. search for this topic here and more info is provided. steve

my teacher after seeing this thing come together piece by piece has told me that i can use more aluminum! so this time. ill be making the frame a litter thicker to accept a larger drill bit, than it will be a running engine after all!

Your on the right track...that website is awesome!

Elmer engines are cool and this forum has a ton.

If anyone knows the answer to anything related to model engines, these guys do.

Well today I finished my engine. I buffed and polished every piece to make it sparkle since it won't be running.

But on the good side I started little machine shops simple oscillating engine. Write up and pictures to come

Latest posts

Back