First Engine No Plans.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That being your first engine, all I can say is WOW. I must be in the wrong place, where is the forum for us not so good beginners.

Very nice. Congrats

HYTECH.

I believe I got the problem worked out. Sorry for the delay.

I don't know what happened, but please don't do it again ;D

Kevin

ksouers said:
HYTECH.

I believe I got the problem worked out. Sorry for the delay.
I don't know what happened, but please don't do it again ;D
Kevin

Thanks! I wish I knew what I did. ??? I was uploading more pics and then everything just froze then no more page 2. Anyway I will try again later today.

One thing I need to practice with is turning a shaft to size. most of the time I over shoot and go undersized. I did this on the crank mains. and the bearings fit loose so I ordered some bearings from Granger that were undersized and made to be pressfit onto a 0.500" shaft and they fit nicely.

I also need to work on finish passes but I think that is mostly my tooling. (cheap carbide 38 piece kit for $20.00) I just ordered HSS blanks from Enco and am going to try to cut my own. I think this will work better. And Man I need a DRO.

Here are examples of my rough and undersized finish passes. Any pointers?

P9070017 (Large).JPG

P9070019 (Large).JPG

P9070019 (Large).JPG

Hytech,

A couple of things come to mind

Blunt tool tip not on centre height

Tip radius smaller than the rate of feed

Lack of rigidity - tool overhang to high, job overhang from support centres.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

It's been a long time and I've just got back to this project.
i've changed the cylinder design it was too long and I decided to have 4 studs or long cap screws pass through the cylinder and head. With the last pic you will see it is hard to take pictures with a 21 month old little boy helping, all I could do to keep it out of his hands but we had fun. I almost have the head finished also and will post pics soon

P6120044.JPG

P6120047.JPG

P6120045.JPG

Nice work :bow: That little hand makes that cylinder look bigger than it is. Good to get them interested young. Keep up the good work and the pics.

Brock

Cutting cooling fins on the head is a long time consuming project when using a parting tool in a boring head.

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

The cooling fins are done. Not perfect but with a little touching up I can make it look pretty good.

71.JPG

72.JPG

Amazing!! I can't even draw an engine without redoing all the parts many times to get them to fit...and you're doing this from your head!! :bow:

Made a valve seat cutter. I still have a little work to make it cut but that will be done at a later date.

P5250140_(Large).JPG

P5250143_(Large).JPG

P5250145_(Large).JPG

P5250147_(Large).JPG

radfordc said:
Amazing!! I can't even draw an engine without redoing all the parts many times to get them to fit...and you're doing this from your head!! :bow:

Oh I redo atleast half of it. Cylinder, piston, This is the second block/crankcase, many valves, camshaft, ECT.. Lots of mistakes and redesigns. I should have put it on paper first.

I am getting quite a collection of cool machined paper weights. When this is done I'll post picks of the parts that didn't make it.

Started making the cam tappet/follower guide out of bronze.

P6110021.JPG

P6110022.JPG

P6110024.JPG

P6110035.JPG

Latest posts

Back