First ball turner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esteam

Reaction score
Hello there,

Here is my first ball turner. I think it's ok. What do you think?

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Regards

Erdem

It's hard to see in the photos (and it may be there) but most carbide inserts need a 2-5 degree downward tilt to achieve correct cutting position at the tip and the tip has to be on centerline of the work. Looks like the ball sanded in OK though. I've noticed in dozens of ball turner postings I've seen throughout the years that the first ball usually ends up on the ball turner. Good Job! -Mike

Thanks guys.

You're right Mike. This is very first cutting. I will modify it and it will cut better I think.

Regards

Erdem

very nice!

Hi there Esteam. That is one cool ball turning fixture. :bow: The first thing I would modify is the clamping stud to allow the tool to be closer to the chuck. It looks like the stud and nut won't fit under the lathe chuck. IF you can't get it closer to the chuck, then use something larger diameter to hold your...... workpiece. Taper it down at the end and thread(?) it to suit.

Hope this helps.
DB

edit for clarity.... DB

Looks great, good job!

I tried to make a brass ball on the end of a thin shaft just like you've shown in your picture. I turned up the speed, thinking I'd get a really slick finish. What I got was a loud bang, the shaft bent badly and the ball beating the heck out of the tool. The insert gouged and grabbed the ball and all he!! broke loose. I was lucky it didn't hurt me or my lathe. I stayed with aluminum balls after that. ;D

Thank you dickeybird.

What a bad accident. You're right that you were very lucky. I can send you mine as a gift, please don't stay with aluminum balls ;D

Erdem

DICKEYBIRD said:
I tried to make a brass ball on the end of a thin shaft just like you've shown in your picture. I turned up the speed, thinking I'd get a really slick finish. What I got was a loud bang, the shaft bent badly and the ball beating the heck out of the tool. The insert gouged and grabbed the ball and all he!! broke loose. I was lucky it didn't hurt me or my lathe.

If your ball turner geometry dictates that you work that far away from the chuck, turn yourself a beefy stub arbor with only the last 0.75" inch or so turned down to the thread diameter of the ball - just enough so that you have clearance for the turner tool at the back of the ball.

Back