Fine scale Metal Milling? Can anyone help?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm at this point 20 posts trying to find a solution and help this guy 1200 looks and no input from the initial poster with a drawing word of thanks clarification nothing tom has even prototyped this thing on his own time. thanks Tom.
Tin

Yesterday the OP sent me a drawing of the part. Rather detailed with arcs and grooves. A challange for sure. I am working on a phototype, we'l see how it goes.

well I guess he must be lurking as a guest. no sign of activity from his account. call me an idealist if you will but I would like to see folks involved here not just show up with a question get there resolution and disappear.
Hope it goes well for both or you.
tin

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Sorry about the lack of posts Tin Falcon - i thought id get an email alert when replies are made ::) so didnt think to check back. Im very interested in CAD design and hope to bounce ideas off all you skilled "guys in the know" here before i undertake projects. ;D

Yea im sort of fishing for ways to do it at the moment. Tom has been kind enough to have a try in steel, although he mentioned some of the detail grooves were a bit fine to produce. And being for modelmakers (who are a fussy bunch when it comes to details ;)) it would need to be pretty accurate.

Here is a rougher drawing (i need to learn a better way of slapping the measuremnts on...) for those interested (units: mm) so people can get an idea of what im on about. No arcs included there. Although the part silhouette is accurate.

Manifest3dmiragepitotplan1.jpg

No inside bore is needed (id be amazed if anyone could do that!!!). And doesnt have to be brass, ideally it would be but another metal would work (... as long as its not lead... ;))

Thanks again,
Eddie

Eddie:
we really do have a friendly helpful bunch here. We try hard to help the new guys and gals to this hobby. all we ask in return is respect for others and a little participation on the board. I reset your email notifications so you should be getting them from now on. you can always throttle them back if you need to. Sometime I have to play father falcon and swoop down an in. It just irks me when it feels like the folks here are being used. just a favor when you get a chance please post an introduction a bit about yourself , your shop and you interests here.
Tin

I assume dimensions are in millimeters. That being the case, steel may be a good idea from a strength point of view, although hard brass might stand up to rough handling well enough.

Latest posts

Back