Fine scale Metal Milling? Can anyone help?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieV

Reaction score
Hi all, :)
Id like to know if anyone can help me with a small part i need to get milled out in brass (or similar).

Its a scale model pitot tube (pointy thing on the front of a plane) but is very fine, around 0.8mm diamiter at its thinnest point and around an inch long.

I have traditional plans and CAD designs, and can get a resin master done if needed. I just need somone with the know-how to mill out about 20 of these for a sane price ;D

Replies or emails welcomed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Eddie V

You should give your location as well as a sketch with some dimensions. I assume this would be mostly a turning project (lathe work).

sound more like a job for someone with a sherline sized cnc.
tin

I hope it doesn't have to actually have a hole down the middle of it..... :eek:

A sketch or drawing would be interesting to see.

we really need some sort of drawing.
is material important ?

mike the question is whether these model ones require a hole.
Tin

At that size it is doable on most any small lathe. The issue would be the arc's/features on the outside, and how complex the inner bore would be,Steps,tapers threads. A working model or just a model. I'd be interested in doing these.

I cannot imagine that the model would need a full bore... maybe just an imitation of one at the tip.

It's going to take a fine RAZOR SHARP tool to turn any contours, and an insane RPM. I think it's going to be tougher than guys are thinking if there is an OD contour of any size.

If doing it with only a lathe, careful use of abrasive paper might be one way to get some contouring, but you'll lose any crisp step-down sections.

I'd look for a way to make do with hypodermic tubing or similar. How about telescoping hypodermic tubing? Small Parts sells these. You could insert one or more small tubes into a larger tube, join with CA glue, and blunt the tip.

We really need to see a picture here. Even COC will do so long as it shows any internal and external features with dimensions.

I was wondering about roll forming some small tubing.
Tin

As a try I turned a piece of 12L14 to a .030 about .1 long and a .055 .150 long. The speed was low so the finish was poor. sped up with lube should work.

pitottube001.jpg

pitottube002.jpg

Here's a second try at this, was able to center drill this, but could not locate my little drills to try a center hole. a .013 hole 1" deep is likely not possible with standard drills, thats a 80:1 depth/dia ratio. No dimensions yet from the OP.

pitottube2001.jpg

pitottube2003.jpg

pitottube2002.jpg

I'm sure this won't help, but I'll mention it anyway, I believe you can buy SS hypodermic tubing, 12 Gauge is 0.0830"ID and 1.090"OD. So perhaps one could make brass, 12L14 etc outer cones, drill a 1.1? hole and loctite the tubes into the cones?

My useless 2 pesos,
Chazz

Chazz said:
I'm sure this won't help, but I'll mention it anyway, I believe you can buy SS hypodermic tubing, 12 Gauge is 0.0830"ID and 1.090"OD.

Boy, you Canucks are one tough lot. Can you just imagine getting stuck with a hypodermic that's an inch in diameter!!

isn't a decimal point a terrible thing to misplace hard to know where to put it when you find it.
Tin

I wonder if hypodermic tubing could be heated and stretched, Like making capillary glass tubing. With just a little stretch, the heated area might just take on the profile wanted - or close enough.

Alan

Back