Felt?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazylathe

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking to buy some felt for the wipers on my mill.

Using the search function i came to the conclusion that "felt" is a greatly used emotional word! ;D
Not what i was looking for!!!
I need the white stuff that comes in a sheet, is kind of fluffy and likes to absorb oil!

Any ideas on where to get a sheet of the stuff from for a reasonable price??

Andrew

Try typing felt into the search box on McMaster Carr's site.

They will understand what you are looking for.

Rick

Thanks Rick!

But that in itself brings up another point i forgot to mention.... :-\
They do not ship North of the border...
Being in Canada i am only allowed to drool at all the cool stuff they sell!

Andrew

Go to the local hardware store and buy a small sheet 12" x 12" of adhesive backed felt that is put on the bottom of chairs which set on a finished hardwood floors. The adhesive peels right off, and it is a rigid felt----makes great way wipers.----And as we said when we were kids"Hows your old straw hat?---Has it ever been felt????"---Brian

Felt is a common commodity in fabric stores. Send your wife shopping for what you need. Just to make you feel bad, I put almost a square yard of wiper felt in the garbage when I moved last summer.

lazylathe said:
Thanks Rick!

But that in itself brings up another point i forgot to mention.... :-\
They do not ship North of the border...
Being in Canada i am only allowed to drool at all the cool stuff they sell!

Andrew

A friend in the USA can buy anything you need from them and ship it to you personally. ;)

Rick

Hmmmmm.... This sounds like a trap!!! :big:
Another big money pit filled with goodies and must haves! ;D

I wonder how much friendship fees are for a friend in the states?

Andrew

You might try nosing around at the Salvation Army depot or a local yard sale. Mens hats are made of felt and one could possibly be found for very little. You could make yourself quite a few wipers from the material in a hat. That way you would not have to cover the 'import' or 'friend' tax most likely in place. ;D

BC1
Jim

The Felt Store eh? I always wondered about the answer to the question: "Where do you get felt?"

Andrew's question made me look at the wipers on my lathe and recoil in horror. I feel a visit to the hardware store coming on. I like Brian's suggestion to use some of that adhesive-backed stuff.

Thanks Brian

Jim

AussieJimG---You just made me feel good. How often does one get the opportunity to do a favour for somebody on the far side of the planet!!! Really glad I could help you.-----Brian

Fabric store felt tends to be somewhat softer. Craft stores - like Michael's in the states - sells a slightly harder felt. Both varieties seem to be about 1/8" thick.

I bought a pair of felt insoles for boots at Workwear World (here in Canada) several years ago and have enough for both my lathe and milling machine to last me the rest of my life.

Thanks for all the tips and help guys!
I will have a look for felt insoles on the weekend!

Andrew

Wallymart or ANY sewing shop will stock felt of different weights and colours.

HTH
Chazz

I get mine from a chemists shop. It is sold for various medical purposes. Bunyon and corn pads are a case in point.

I just got some recently from http://www.bluechipmachineshop.com along with some way oil.

It arrived very quickly (I think I ordered on Friday Eve and it showed up on Tue.. 4 days & that was over a weekend.) and they actually doubled the way oil portion of the order. Not sure if that was oversight or not, but I was sure happy with thier service!

It's 1/4" thick and pretty dense.

Latest posts

Back