ez engine build question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodknack

Reaction score
Hey guys just joined the other night and love the site. My question is this, on the ez engine plans I see where on the frame it says to drill five hole all .125 then on the next page I see the maker of this engine tapping one of the holes! In the plans it says all hole tapped for 4-40. Well .125 would be to big for that. From what I make of it, is that you should drill and tap 4 of those holes for 4-40 and the middle hole should be .125 for the air? Am I thinking right? Im at the point where I need to drill the hole but dont want to muff it up. I have a lot of time just squaring up the base and frame on the milling machine. Id hate to scrap it now.

Great thats what I thought. i skimmed that thread the other night but didnt read it all the way I guess. How hard would it be to change that in the set of plans on the pdf? Say someone got these plans and were not on this forum, they would not know that was a mistake until it was to late. Never the less its a great start. Thanks..

woodknack said:
How hard would it be to change that in the set of plans on the pdf? Say someone got these plans and were not on this forum, they would not know that was a mistake until it was to late.

Woodknack; Welcome to the forum! You are correct. Now that the page is updated we will move it into the folder in the upload section so anyone who downloads it will get the corrected page.

Also; take some pictures and post them over in the section titled "A Work in Progress". Tell us some about your build so we can follow along. You can also ask questions as you go. We enjoy seeing the progress not just the finished model. Let us know what went well or if something was not clear. We can always make improvements to the drawings or instructions as builders like you give us feedback.

Hey! Welcome to the forum Woodknack!
Put a post in the Welcome thread and tell us about yourself!
I'm also very interested in what you think about the engine.

Regarding the five holes, when I was building my engine, I drilled all of them at 0.1250 and then when I discovered the error, I just tapped tapped them for 6-32 screws. The 0.1250 holes are a little bit big, and I had to drill out the holes on the cylinders but the engine runs just fine.

Jack

I will post picture as I go along in the work in progress forum. I will post some pictures as soon as my camera battery charges up. ;)

Hey jack,
good to know you can just redrill them bigger. Im glad I caught it before hand. I wanted a simple project, thats why i picked this one. I have done a wobbler engine(Brassy Babe) I got off Dave Goodfellows website some years ago and he posted a picture of mine on his page too. Top engine on the page is mine. http://www.davegoodfellow.com/Others.html
I also have almost completed a sideshaft vacuum engine by Jerry Howell. http://www.jerry-howell.com/Sideshaft.html But have set that on the back burner for a few years now. My main interest seems to be steam engines.

capjak said:
Regarding the five holes, when I was building my engine, I drilled all of them at 0.1250 and then when I discovered the error, I just tapped tapped them for 6-32 screws. The 0.1250 holes are a little bit big, and I had to drill out the holes on the cylinders but the engine runs just fine.

Jack

Jack; This is good to know. A question came up about using 6-32's on this engine and you just answered it. Thanks for the info. :bow:

Back