Eyes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea how to bend some nice looking eyes in some wire? I'd like to build a small stirling motor and I'm thinking of using some wire for the con rods? If I can get them to look nice:O)

Thanks, Wes

Hi Wes, I used .045 MIG welding wire for my stirling engine crank and rods. Straighten the wire as much as possible. I put a 3/16 dowel in the vise, used two pliers to form a loop in the middle of a long ( 8" )piece of wire. One turn. Then I cut one end short of the overlap. Use a needle nose to bend the loop back to center on the long end. Make several, it only takes minutes, and a little practice, to get a good one. The White piece is a Delrin bearing I made to secure everything in place. I wanted to hold the 'eye' on location, note the groove in the bearing, and also helps avoid a real tight bend in the wire 'eye'. No plans just try it til it seems right.

IMGP0104.jpg

A picture of the assembly. Power piston 1/4" stroke in center, displacer rod on right.

IMGP0105.jpg

Hope this helps. Davyboy

Hey, I forgot about Franks site.

Davyboy, That's perfect! That's exactly how I want it to look:O) do you have any more pictures of that engine? how does it run?

Later, Wes

For larger sizes (say >= 1/2" OD), I use a home built jig almost identical to Frank's.

For smaller sizes, jewelry supply houses sell pliers made expressly for forming loops - jewelers make lots of loops in wire. One plier jaw is cylindrical with three or four different diameters available. The other jaw has a matching concave surface that automates the process of bending the wire into a loop.

Hi Wes, I just posted a new photo, search for Simple Simon. That engine is out of order just now.

That is some cool stuff on Frank Ford's website.

Latest posts

Back