Experimental Flash Steam and others

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had several run ins with bears and have a friend that survived a mauling from a griz.

One of the times, I did run into a cub while jogging. I had imagery of being eaten by the mother, but nowhere in sight. Maybe sneakers are the recipe for disaster...but not that day. :p

Speaking of which, I gonna get a tree permit, go to the woods and cut me a Christmas tree. I won't wear adidas today, so I should be good.
Well, since Montana is a good state for gunz, you should never be in a place without one. In Washington we mostly have black bears.

Reactions: Zeb
Am I allowed to say that?
Why certainly! I feel strongly both ways. One of the safest places I've ever been is likely here. The most dangerous probably Jo-burg. Both have vast quantities of pew pews, but differing cultures for sure. Maybe community has somethinkpf to do with it.

Now, when it comes to experimental flash steam and CAD products, we shall have sharp, passionate disagreements. For that is what we're here to do. Along with laughing now and then...

Why certainly! I feel strongly both ways. One of the safest places I've ever been is likely here. The most dangerous probably Jo-burg. Both have vast quantities of pew pews, but differing cultures for sure. Maybe community has somethinkpf to do with it.

Now, when it comes to experimental flash steam and CAD products, we shall have sharp, passionate disagreements. For that is what we're here to do. Along with laughing now and then...
Haw Haa haa LOL

Best you stay away from Australia if that easily scared.

Legendary "Drop Bears" "thylarctos plummetus"

1669439168670.png

They look tasty. Do they make nice slippers as well?
Bear meat in in the fall here is huckleberry scented. You can almost see it. Spring bear not so tasty but make excellent slippers.
Now eucalyptus scented...that would be interesting.

I'd make sure to cook out the trichinosis. It hear it kind of doesn't go away. Ask Rinella about trichinella.

Ladies and Scholars,
Today, I had a lucky break, at least so far it has been lucky. When I managed to win the bid for a very low price on a 2HP Bridgeport, the sellers said it had something wrong with the head. (It was the shipping that kilt me.) Afterr watching many vids on takking the heads apart, I decided it would be easier to take the head apart than to take an engine out of an automobile. So today, my son and I managed to disassemble the motor. It was fairly easy (MUCH easier than taking an engine out of a car) and guess what we found. Have you guessed yet?

When I had turned the power on, there was a terribly loud rattling and I switched it off instantly. There happens to be a key on the shaft that is backed by some type of plastic. The plastic was in two parts, the key was worn away in a really strange looking twist and the screw was nowhere to be found.

So LUCKY DAy--isn't there a song about that? While I have the thing apart, I will check the bearings and all the other parts to make sure they are good, clean it well and maybe change the belts.

So . . . does anyone have any suggestions while I have it disassembled? I'm wondering if I could replace that key with an all metal one. It seems to me that a plastic backing must have had a reason but to me I thimpfk it is unreasonable.

Ah, here is the part:
1672441142926.png

it cost 18$--only worth 2$ if even that. Notice the key itself has a screw hole in it, that broke in half on my machine--the wall of the screw hole is very thin, I imagine they break all the time which means it is a poorly engineered part. Does anyone know why they put that plastic slip in there?

It's been over ten years since I've run a bridgeport, but I was always nervous about crashing the spindle feed when boring. Is that what this is a part of? I would expect plastic to be a good idea if this is part of the quill feed.

It's been over ten years since I've run a bridgeport, but I was always nervous about crashing the spindle feed when boring. Is that what this is a part of? I would expect plastic to be a good idea if this is part of the quill feed.
Sorry. After reading what I wrote, I realized that I was vague on where that key is. It is on the motor rotor in the section that turns the variable pulley. There is a stiff spring at that end pushing the two halves of the pulley together and on the end of the spring is a herky disk keeper. the disk has two holes in it to enable maintenance to screw the spring down tight, remove a c-clip and then back out the disk and spring to release it carefully.

I have removed a bearing and bearing houseing from the top of the spindle. The bearing spins freely but is very dry and a bit rough--not excessivly rough, just more than I would expect. But the dryness is what makes me wonder. I thimpfk I will be sure to replace this bearing and tomorrow, I hope to check some more stuff on it.

In looking at prices for some of these parts, I found absurd prices. Many things that are aftermarket and very cheap even when good quality. Real prices are about a quarter of what the thieves wanted for theirs, and some were as much as a tenth. Can you believe 18$ for that key and the plastic piece that goes with it? Sheesh.

Reactions: Zeb
Ho, Friends. I went to a place in ML called Columbia Bearing today. The bearing I need is 53$. I was hoping for a little less so checkt NAPA. the three prices at NAPA were 164$, 103$ and 104$. Wonder which one I should buy? LOL. The one at Columbia was made in Turkey. It is sort of amazing to me that there are at least three places in Eurp (or is that Yurp?) that have surprizingly good quality at great prices: Hungary., Poland and Turkey. , So when I am hungry I look for polish turkey.

The odd thing about Columbia Bearing is that they don't take cash--card only! And if one doesn't have an account with them, which I don't there is a minimum charge of 50$. I thot that that was sort of bad business practice, however, being unbearable bearing salespeople is not what they are doing, I'm sure that they generally deal with very large orders and expensive items that the average joe just isn't in the market for. I still find it strange however as that would mean that small walk-in customers are prohibited from buying. Strange.

Ho, Friends. I went to a place in ML called Columbia Bearing today. The bearing I need is 53$. I was hoping for a little less so checkt NAPA. the three prices at NAPA were 164$, 103$ and 104$. Wonder which one I should buy? LOL. The one at Columbia was made in Turkey. It is sort of amazing to me that there are at least three places in Eurp (or is that Yurp?) that have surprizingly good quality at great prices: Hungary., Poland and Turkey. , So when I am hungry I look for polish turkey.

The odd thing about Columbia Bearing is that they don't take cash--card only! And if one doesn't have an account with them, which I don't there is a minimum charge of 50$. I thot that that was sort of bad business practice, however, being unbearable bearing salespeople is not what they are doing, I'm sure that they generally deal with very large orders and expensive items that the average joe just isn't in the market for. I still find it strange however as that would mean that small walk-in customers are prohibited from buying. Strange.
By forcing the use of a credit card they learn a LOT more about you!

Its all about control and control and control and . . .

Over 20 years ago there was a tinfoil debate over Timken (?) bearings on aircraft purchased at any local Brown Bearing. The "FAA approved" box was exponentially more expensive, but they came off the same production line under the same physical standard. Have to pay lawyers and bookkeeping to support paperwork weighing the same as the product!

The bearing I need is 53$. I was hoping for a little less so checkt NAPA. the three prices at NAPA were 164$, 103$ and 104$.

Over 20 years ago there was a tinfoil debate over Timken (?) bearings on aircraft purchased at any local Brown Bearing. The "FAA approved" box was exponentially more expensive, but they came off the same production line under the same physical standard. Have to pay lawyers and bookkeeping to support paperwork weighing the same as the product!
Those two quotations is why I buy my farm equipment bearings off Ebay. I don't need aircraft certified quality and I don't need to pay the counterman at Napa (the one who can't find the bearing I need anyway). I simply use the bearing number if it is still visible or the OD, ID, thickness and seal type. It also lets me do the order on my free time and without the 40 mile round trip to town plus waiting for a counterman to notice me.

Latest posts

Back