ER 25 collet ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always preferred End Mill Holders over collets.
http://www.busybeetools.com/categories/Metalworking/?sort=pricedesc&page=11 E.M. HOLDER MT 3 1/2 415435 $24.99 $19.99
E.M. HOLDER MT 3 3/8 415430 $24.99 $19.99
I also got the Collet Set with my new X2 Mill, but haven't tried them yet, still trying to find time to set mill up. Its uncrated, but thats as far as I got. It would have fit on the table of the last CNC centre that I used.
Regards,
Gerald.

I have found my German ER-25 collet set most useful
on my ancient Atlas 618 lathe for accuracy on small
rods.

I have just received a collect chuck holder with straight shank in order to
make an indexible holder for making small gears with a spindle.
Harprit Sandhu has a super book "Spindles" #27 in the
WORKSHOP Practice Series that I am following. I have two Atlas 618
Milling attachments that will hold the spindle assembly.

The end mills are held in an MT-2 end mill holder ... the
only safe way.

So what is a reliable source for quality ER-25 collet chuck and collets? I'm currently just using the three jaw chuck on my inherited Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe for holding milling bits.

blackfoxsteam said:
So what is a reliable source for quality ER-25 collet chuck and collets? I'm currently just using the three jaw chuck on my inherited Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe for holding milling bits.

I purchased from Prazi "ER-25 Super Precision Chuck and Spanner Wrench (MT2 Only)"
from << http://www.ismg4tools.com/prices/Pricelist_for_D6000.htm >>.

The reason I chose this set was on the recommendation of a tool & die maker's advice.
On my Atlas 618 I used my DTI on the Prazi set versus a cheapie ER-25 set made
by the Yak-Track-Set. Hands down the Prazi. If super accuracy is not a necessity in
one's work the cheap set holds slightly better than a 3-Jaw ... but not as well
as my 4-jaw chuck.

I again thanked my Dad for his guiding motto: " I am too poor to buy cheap things. "

If it were me? I'd chose the ER-32s. There's a few reasons, And especialy so if your planning to use them on both a mill and lathe. They will handle larger material for use on the lathe. Arc Euro in the U.K. sell what's commanly listed by them as a Stevenson's design spindexer. Normally these are used with 5C collets. This one will accept ER-32s. Very handy for mill use. I wish they would make one for ER-40s though.

Everyones shop buget is obviously different. But if you need collets, Then you need accurate ones or there's no point. I'd hesitate to buy any collet if the manufacter won't provide hard numbers as far as runout tollerances. Without those? "It looks and works like a collet, Isn't that what you bought?" But I have read numerous times of people who have had great luck and good accuracy with the cheaper ones that don't have those specifications. (also a few times of people who were not so lucky.)

And as others have already pointed out. It seems like there's a few Chinese manufacter's who provide ER type collets that look very close to, But aren't ER collets that conform to actual ER dimensions. Maybe that's what you have?

Pete

Latest posts

Back