entire Popular Science archive free online

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you download the pages? It seems you cannot via Google due to them being copyrighted.

I dont think they let you download it. but I cant be certain,
I hav'nt looked to hard.

My favorite part, other than the interesting articles, is the ads from a century ago. You can almost get a sense of what the readers back then were thinking about these new (at that time) ideas. Like one interesting article about this new way of preventing car crashes.......using hand signals.

Makes ya think what people will be laughing at about us in a hundred years. Thell be saying "Those dumb old people and their CNC, how could they survive withot an atomic parts generator, hit a button and, BOOM, there is a fully functional, space travel capable, remote control, 1/12 replica of the space shuttle"

if only, Right?

kel

I like the ads in these older magazines, too. Like one from the late '40s advertising Dexter three jaw lathe chucks. I've been looking around for one in 4" size half heartedly, (they make them to fit Atlas 1-8 thread, and they are much thinner than the Chichucks on the market). One ad in the 1946 issue I was checking out had these chucks for $17. Dexter still makes them new. $250.

Seventeen bucks used to buy a lot!

Rudy Kouhoupt had a few articles in these magazines, too.

Dean

I used to have a collection of Pop Science and Pop Mechanics fom the 1930's thru the 1970's. Lots of good model engineering articles, particularly in the late 1950's and early 60's. Search for steam engine, hot air engine, and see what you find.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back