popular science mystery engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tin Falcon said:
I have heard that many of the old apprenticeships required hand bench work before you got near a machine.

I have a reprint of a 1942 vintage Aircraft sheet metal book. Project 1 is to make a drill point gage.
the standards
1) made to correct size
2)angle correct
3)corners sharp as laid out
4) correct radius
5) Hole centered
6)Edges straight and square
7) tool marks and burs removed
8) craftsman like finish.
This is made with hand tools cut out with a hack saw and finished with files.
Tin

Tin,
Some schools still teach hand tools first. I learned at the US Merchant Marine Academy and the description is nearly spot on of the first thing I made in shop class, and I believe the shop classes have not changed because the machine shop on a merchant ship is very similar to a well equipped home shop setup. We did not get to use a hacksaw we had to chain drill the blank and use a cold chisel.

Dan

David Morrow said:
Back to the original post, it looks like an engine from "The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos"

I have that engine in progress but at the current rate of progress I'll get it finished in about 2025...
http://www.ldrider.ca/cnc/fire-eater/fire-eater-1.htm

Excellent workmanship, David! That will be a beauty of an engine :bow:
Just one question. Did Mr. Duclos specify that particular size and shape for the cylinder pedestal?

cidrontmg said:
Excellent workmanship, David! That will be a beauty of an engine :bow:
Just one question. Did Mr. Duclos specify that particular size and shape for the cylinder pedestal?

Yes, that's pretty much the correct size & shape according to the plans in the book.

Latest posts

Back