Engine turning experiment

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't done this for a long time but it was one of my first experiments with CNC. IIRC, I used a small round disk made from green 3M scrubbing pad and some neoprene backing to provide a little spring relief if the mill pushed down too hard. Lubricant was WD-40 and I set up a drilling pattern and let the mill do its thing.

http://www.ldrider.ca/cnc/cncparts/cncparts.htm

cncparts02.JPG

cncparts03.JPG

Still experimenting... An artificial wine bottle cork epoxied to a 1/4 20 arbor:

DSCF2177.JPG

Just by eye, no attempt at perfection. Started in the upper left corner, worked right then down and so on - you can see how the cork quickly got worked in and started doing a nice cut all the way to the center.

I'm thinking this "cutter" (for lack of a better word) ought to last quite a while as the entire cork is 1 1/2" long and the steel arbor is into it 3/4" - we got 3/4" to wear out before it's toast.

Prepared the surface with a spritz of WD40 and a bit of valve grinding compound spread all around more or less evenly. Spit would probably work just as well as WD40...

The cork is a great idea. I might have to spring for one of those "Upity" bottles of wine that don't unscrew... ;)

rhitee93 said:
The cork is a great idea. I might have to spring for one of those "Upity" bottles of wine that don't unscrew... ;)

See if you've got a DIY wine/beer shop nearby - there you can buy a bag of them for very little money.

I discovered this a few years ago as part of a booze smuggling operation... It turns out that you are allowed to bring a couple bottles of wine (only) onto a cruise ship. Well, my two wine bottles had gin (with a little yellow food coloring in them) instead. Did you know a drill press makes a great bottle corking machine? But I digress.... ::)

dgjessing said:
Well, my two wine bottles had gin (with a little yellow food coloring in them) instead.

Rof} That is a good one.

Hi everyone, first post here! My votech instructor called it spot finishing..
;D

Back