Elmer's no11 Radial

Help Support HMEM:

lensman57

Reaction score
Hi and my best wishes for Xmas and New year to everyone,

I have now finished the construction of Elmer's no1 Radial engine.
It does work but not very well, I suspect the valve arrangement is not optimised as yet. There is a constant flow of high pressure air from the exhaust vent at the front. I am still not clear as how the rotary valve works as the design allows it to rotate about the 1/16" pin that drives it or am I supposed have fixed it to the drive pin some how? Elmer's construction notes are not very clear to me.
Many thanks and regards,

A.G

lensman57

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my #11. Read thru the whole build log posts here to see what the problems and fixes were. Runs great now with help from the forum.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/two-engines-one-elmer-gets-makeover-18142/index2.html
Hi Stan,

Many thanks for your reply, I have read your build log many times and decided to redo the crank shaft as the there is a bit of run out as you had and the rotation is not concentric. My concern is more to do with the oscillating valve. If I locktite the pin to the central hole it will prevent it from rotating about itself, but I am not sure if this is something I should do or not. What does prevent the valve from from rotating about its axis otherwise?
Also I think there is a typo in Elmer's plans on page 46, it states to drill 23 tap 3/16 40- 2 holes, as far as I can see there is only one hole in the valve chamber for air intake.

Regards,

A.G

Sshire

Reaction score
Hi Stan,

Many thanks for your reply, I have read your build log many times and decided to redo the crank shaft as the there is a bit of run out as you had and the rotation is not concentric. My concern is more to do with the oscillating valve. If I locktite the pin to the central hole it will prevent it from rotating about itself, but I am not sure if this is something I should do or not. What does prevent the valve from from rotating about its axis otherwise?
Also I think there is a typo in Elmer's plans on page 46, it states to drill 23 tap 3/16 40- 2 holes, as far as I can see there is only one hole in the valve chamber for air intake.

Regards,

A.G
I just looked at the drawings again.
Correct on the valve housing. As far as I can see on my #11, there is only 1 3/16-40 hole. Not 2.
Since the valve is symmetrical and is turning on an offset valve crank pin, it needs to move freely about the offset axis. Don't Loctite.
I think it's most critical to have just enough clearance between the valve face and the valve housing to allow the valve to rotate and no more. I had a piece of 400 or 600 grit paper on the surface plate and kept sanding the housing until there was slight binding of the valve. Then I did a few sanding strokes on the valve until it just moved freely.

lensman57

Reaction score
Hi Stan,

Many thanks for your tips, I have now got the crank to go around smoothely and it is a better fit in the bronze bushings. Will lap the air chamber next to bring it to touch with the valve. I connected it to my dimunitive air compressor and it does go around a few times before the air pressure , volume drops off, without a flywheel so there is hope for this engine.

Regards and best wishes,

A.G

kf2qd

Reaction score
The valve face and the valve body face need to be very smooth, lapped if possible. And then just a film of oil. Ideally the supply pressure should help the seal, if the contacting surfaces are flat.

Latest posts