Elmer's #43 with Reverse

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMI

Reaction score
Thought I'd make a engine that allowed a minimum amount of operator interaction and after following Zee's saga Elmer's 43 seemed a natural. Plus it let's me try out my newly purchased el-Cheapo Enco 5c collets and collet block set. So far - so good...

Crosshead build:
PC080034.jpg

7/16ths? Close enough:
PC080041-1.jpg

Drill and ream:
PC080043.jpg

Remove, cut, mount in collet block and indicate:
PC090046.jpg

Finish cylinder head end:

Some more drilling and milling:
PC090051.jpg

Good to go...
PC090052.jpg

Will start on the cylinder next.

Jim

Jim,
Great start! Keep 'em coming.
Dennis

Looking good Jim! That four jaw chuck will certainly help a lot.

Zee... Zee... wheres Zee? Are you watching?

-MB

Well this is neat! Real neat.
I'm looking forward to seeing this build and I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

In milling that piston rod guide (crosshead) it looks like you milled in X, which is what I did. But mine resulted in a lot of metal being pushed into the bore which was really troublesome. Did you cut in one pass? Looks like brass. Is it? Mine was 12L14.

The instructions that came with my kit showed that operation being done from the side. I did it the way you did (well no...you did it better). Any particular reason why you did it that way rather than from the side?

Looking forward to more.

zeeprogrammer said:
In milling that piston rod guide (crosshead) it looks like you milled in X, which is what I did. But mine resulted in a lot of metal being pushed into the bore which was really troublesome. Did you cut in one pass? Looks like brass. Is it? Mine was 12L14.

The instructions that came with my kit showed that operation being done from the side. I did it the way you did (well no...you did it better). Any particular reason why you did it that way rather than from the side?

Hi Zee,

The engine will mostly be brass. The crosshead is brass. Milled it in 3 passes per side cause I didn't want to distort the piece in the vise so it was lightly clamped, hence the light cuts.
I cut it that way because it looked like the easiest way to get what was show in Elmer's plans. The corners in his drawings are square where if I came in from the side the corners would be have a radius as determined by the mill cutter size.
As far as metal in the bore I cleaned it up with a small file and emery cloth.

Jim

Almost done with the cylinder:
PC090001.jpg

Drill the bore:
PC090003.jpg

Size it:
PC090004.jpg

More drilling and tapping:
PC100011.jpg

Inlet and exhaust ports:
PC110014.jpg

Still need to make the other cylinder head. Having lots of fun.

Jim

That looks great!

I thought it was interesting that you used an end mill to size the bore. How does that compare to reaming? Do you expect to do additional operations on the bore like sanding or lapping?

Thanks.

zeeprogrammer said:
I thought it was interesting that you used an end mill to size the bore. How does that compare to reaming? Do you expect to do additional operations on the bore like sanding or lapping?

Zee,

I usually ream the bore but I use chucking reamers and a round column mill and raising/lowering yada, yada, yada got lazy and just used an end mill on the under sized hole. I use "Clover" grinding compound if any lapping is needed.

Jim

Some progress has been made, "steam chest", valve plate and cover. The highlights:

Steam Chest:
PC110026.jpg

Turned around in collet and drilled:
PC120030.jpg

Hollowed out:
PC120034.jpg

In Place:
PC130036.jpg

Valve Plate:
PC130039.jpg

Cover:
PC130041.jpg

All together:
PC130043.jpg

Beginning to look like something and needs to be mounted to it's base.

More to follow...

Jim

Looking great.

What size end-mill did you use for the porting cover? My plans call for 1/32. Yours looks bigger.

I'm actually setting up to do the porting cover right now. If you hear a dim wail from eastern PA...then I broke the cutter.

Great progress...I'm still at a point where I have to think and prepare for a few days before I make a cut. ;D

zeeprogrammer said:
What size end-mill did you use for the porting cover? My plans call for 1/32. Yours looks bigger.

Zee,

As per Elmer's drawing the 2 supply ports are 1/16" wide by 1/8" long and the center exhaust port is 1/8" x 1/8" square.

zeeprogrammer said:
I'm actually setting up to do the porting cover right now. If you hear a dim wail from eastern PA...then I broke the cutter.

I know what you mean. Those tiny end mill are as pricey as they are fragile :eek:.

Jim

JMI said:
As per Elmer's drawing the 2 supply ports are 1/16" wide by 1/8" long and the center exhaust port is 1/8" x 1/8" square.

Interesting...my plan shows .05 by .23....which means...which means...RATS...I screwed up! Ah well. I ended up with .031 by .23. Elmer's plans would be the right one. I suspect my plans were redone by a company so they could sell it as theirs.

Sorry if I'm off-topic...but your thread is a big help to me.

The column and bearing:

PC140050.jpg

Milling steps:
PC140052.jpg

and sides
PC150055.jpg

indicating bearing:

the job to date:
PC150063.jpg

This is the last post for a week or so. Having lots of fun, wish I didn't have to stop.

Jim

Was able to get a few more parts done but it is slow goin'.
Started with the eccentric strap:

Was going to under drill then bore the hole for the eccentric but decided to just drill to size:
PC240005.jpg

PC250006.jpg

and mill:
PC250007.jpg

PC250011.jpg

make the crank:
PC250016.jpg

and the eccentric itself:
PC260025.jpg

PC260027.jpg

the reversing handle is still being made:
PC270030.jpg

PC270032.jpg

Still having fun but it can be a little tedious at times.

Jim

Looks great Jim.
How did you make that first curve on the eccentric arm?

Latest posts

Back