Ellery V-Twin 100cc Design & Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great stuff here. Just curious did you draw your on plans for the plane?
Thanks, yes the plane is from my own plans also, however the style of design is not mine. The original is by the Gratner Brothers. I just loved the look of it so much I wanted one. Mine is not going to have the wood vaneer, but will be more classic racing red style.

This is beautiful workmanship! Both engine and airplane are exquisitely executed. o_O

100cc? FYI, I took a 3rd place in my first motorcycle race in 1967 on a 60cc bike. I would’ve loved to have had those extra 40cc, not to mention having them in a V-Twin configuration!

You sir, are an artist!

John W
Thanks John. I made the first piston yesterday and it made me realise how big the thing really is. :)

something like this....hopefully.
Capture.PNG

Great stuff here. Just curious did you draw your on plans for the plane?
Do you not do this? I print out a workshop copy of my plans which I use to document changes, actual finished dimensions I've achieved, calculations or even just notes to myself as I go. At the end of the job my workshop plans are scrappy and sometimes barely readable but they've finished their job and can go in the bin (or saved in a pile for future reference if need be). I never use my 'good set' to work from.

Edit: I think I misread a typo in your post - I read "your on plans" as " on your plans"...disregard my rambling :oops:

Do you not do this? I print out a workshop copy of my plans which I use to document changes, actual finished dimensions I've achieved, calculations or even just notes to myself as I go. At the end of the job my workshop plans are scrappy and sometimes barely readable but they've finished their job and can go in the bin (or saved in a pile for future reference if need be). I never use my 'good set' to work from.

Edit: I think I misread a typo in your post - I read "your on plans" as " on your plans"...disregard my rambling :oops:
Cogsy, I’m with you! My plans, scribbled drawings and notes, are usually covered in greasy/oily fingerprints and smudges. Usually only fit for the trash can, but they’re all there and, like a trail of bread crumbs, lead me back to where I’ve been!

John W

sorry, it has been a while since I posted. Have made some further progress.
Pistons, gudgeon pins done.
IMG_1213.JPG

Crankshaft (EN16) done.
IMG_1237.JPG

Was waiting for the pulley and gear until I designed the tensioner. Seems to work ok
IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

Another part I was waiting for was the carb. After a lot of deliberation (found it really hard to find out much about carbs and Walbro numbers) I went with an OS GF40 carb which is also Walro.
Made a splitter and an inlet trumpet then anodised.
IMG_1306.JPG

My original plans for the both the inlet and exhaust was S/S. but came across 2 problems. My tube bender will not give a tight enough bend radius, and I cannot silver solder. Tried a few times and just can't get success. I suspect my gas torch is not powerful enough. So have changed the strategy at least for the inlets. Made these out of 2 parts aluminium and brazed together. it took quite a while to design the parts due to the double angles, but thats where drawing it in Autodesk Inventor really helps.
IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

A while back i also partially assembled it and let it out in the sun.
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1234.JPG
IMG_1223.JPG

Wow, I sure am hoping you’re planning on a video of that monster running! That is nothing short of impressive!!!o_O

Thanks for sharing,
John

Nice machining and super nice cad work. I'm a Solidworks guy myself, but Your Inventor is doing a superb job.---Brian

Nice machining and super nice cad work. I'm a Solidworks guy myself, but Your Inventor is doing a superb job.---Brian
Thanks Brian, I only use Inventor as I have access to it through my work (although I understand it can also be downloaded freely for hobby use). I have also been playing with Fusion, which is similar in approach to Inventor. I have been using it to design parts for my RC plane and then cut out on my MPCNC.

Very nice execution. Those heads protruding from the cowl will look mean. 100cc is a whole lot of power for that plane!

You running any CNC machines or is this all manual?

sorry, it has been a while since I posted. Have made some further progress.
Pistons, gudgeon pins done.
View attachment 116594

Crankshaft (EN16) done.
View attachment 116595

Was waiting for the pulley and gear until I designed the tensioner. Seems to work ok
View attachment 116596

View attachment 116597

Another part I was waiting for was the carb. After a lot of deliberation (found it really hard to find out much about carbs and Walbro numbers) I went with an OS GF40 carb which is also Walro.
Made a splitter and an inlet trumpet then anodised.
View attachment 116598

My original plans for the both the inlet and exhaust was S/S. but came across 2 problems. My tube bender will not give a tight enough bend radius, and I cannot silver solder. Tried a few times and just can't get success. I suspect my gas torch is not powerful enough. So have changed the strategy at least for the inlets. Made these out of 2 parts aluminium and brazed together. it took quite a while to design the parts due to the double angles, but thats where drawing it in Autodesk Inventor really helps.
View attachment 116599
View attachment 116600

A while back i also partially assembled it and let it out in the sun.View attachment 116601View attachment 116602View attachment 116603
Very nice workmanship looking real smart. Am I right in thinking that Walbro carbs have a built in pump operated by the engine suction or am I completely wrong. Just something in the back of my mind tells me so.

a41capt, you say you raced motorcycles in the 60's. Did you race desert? I raced in sanctioned events in the early 70's in the California Mojave Desert. Here are a couple of pictures taken of me during a couple of events. I used 175 Yamaha's.
Desert1a.jpg
Desert2a.jpg

Grasshopper

Latest posts

Back