edge finder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedhound

Reaction score
Hi, im thinking of buying a touch point edge finder thing something cheep around £25 are they any good and if so which one is best.
Thanks

I use mine all the time and find them very accurate, get a shank that will easily fit a common collet, I use a 1/2" one. And they don't work with plasticas as the part needs to be able to conduct electricity.

Got mine from Greenwood Tools but can't see them on their site now.

Jason

Bogs I think thats to set you tool height not an edge finder. It works by completing the circuit as the cutter touches the top of the tool and lights up, the tool is an exact height say 2" above the table so you then set your Z axis to 2".

Jason

EDIt looks like the picture or description is wrong, as search for the Starret 827MA comes up with this which is an edge finder
http://www.toolbench.co.uk/Starrett-827MA-Edge-Finder--Single-End-10mm-PSTR827MA/
Also if you tend to work in imperial get one with a 0.200" tip as its easy to workout the offset, trying to do it with a 6.0mm tip may be a bit of a pain

Jason,

I have had an imperial Starrett for well over 20 years, and is still as accurate today as the day I bought it.

I noticed that as I was browsing thru their massive clearance list. If it is a tool height setting one then that is a real bargain, because the cheapest I have seen was about 70 squid.

John

Bogstandard said:
I noticed that as I was browsing thru their massive clearance list. If it is a tool height setting one then that is a real bargain, because the cheapest I have seen was about 70 squid.
Yeah, I've got one of those height-finders a friend gave me.. looks identical to the pic but doesn't say 'Starrett' on it anywhere. It works well, especially after I banded an alligator clip and a foot of wire to the base for use on non-conductive materials. Clip the wire to the tool or machine somewhere in that case.

I'm not sure why they cost so much though; it seems like it would be pretty easy to whack one up and surface-grind the tip to set the height.

I made one a while ago because as Shred said, they seem to be over priced for what they are.

Here is the topic link. Just in case you got the urge to make one.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=5218.msg53889#msg53889
PDF file attached to the first post

It's sprung so that if you lower the cutter too much you don't damage the cutter. It could be used on a CNC but it was designed for a manual machine.
It has a buzzer instead of an LED

Cheers,
Phil

Of course there is always the 1/4" dowel and a bit of fag paper ;D
Don

Hi Speedhound,

I have one of those edge finders and got on fairly well with it until the day I wound the table the wrong way and bent it. With a lot of care and patience I managed to straighten it out again in the lathe using a dti. About 2 years ago I treated myself to a laser centre finder and I absolutely swear by it. They are deadly accurate and can also be used for picking up centre punch dots as well as edges and of course you don't have to worry about halving the reading, where ever the laser dot is just zero your dials. They are not cheap however but to my mind worth every penny. Heres a link to one company that sells them (usual disclaimer)

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-local..._Touch_Point_Sensors___264.html#aLCEFP#aLCEFP

heers

Rich

Hi, i was orginally going to get a lazer one but i decided to cheep out and get a touch point one, probilly from chronos.
Thanks

Hi folks

I know you are primarily discussing the aspects of touch point edge finders here, but I want to take the opportunity to show you another (definitely not new) approach to the theme “finding edges” on the milling machine.

I have, like many others of you, a variety of conventional mechanical edge finders in my shop for several years now

Ball-Bearing-Edge-Finder-1.jpg

but since I made my own finders based on simple ball bearings the commercial ones are very seldom in use.

To make this type of edge finder you only need two things, a suitable ball bearing and a true running shaft. For the shafts I like to use ground dowel pins, they are straight enough for this job and have a precise diameter. Our German dowel pins with m6 fit have nearly no clearance to a ball bearing hole. So normally you get a slight press fit from only pushing them into the bearing and this will fix things strong enough. But needles to say you can use any sort of straight self turned shafts also and if you have problems with a precise press fit to the bearing a drop of Loctite might help a lot.

Ball-Bearing-Edge-Finder-2.jpg

To me that sort of edge finders have several advantages:

They are cheap and easy to build, so you can make a whole assortment of that useful helpers for different shop tasks. Most of you will have all the needed components in your drawers anyway.

You can make several edge finders with different shaft diameters of your main collet sizes, so you don’t have to change collets so often when using a variety of tooling on the mill.

Ball bearing finders work proper in a wide range of spindle speed, you can use them up to 4000 rpm and even more without any problem. This can be very useful on machines without variable speed control, no more drive belt altering when changing to the edge finder while you are on “high speed” milling operations.

And the edge detection is really precise and easy to read, to my experience +/- 0.01mm (0.004in) ore even better is always reproducible.

To get an impression how it works you can have a look at this little video, the mill is running with 3000 rpm at this time:

http://pl-hi.de/JST/Ball-Bearing-Edge-Finder-01.mpg

And here is the scenario for another video using a dial indicator

Ball-Bearing-Edge-Finder-3.jpg

to demonstrate the reproducibility when getting in contact with the surface of your work piece. The counter has a graduation of 0.01mm.

http://pl-hi.de/JST/Ball-Bearing-Edge-Finder-03.mpg

Good Night

Achim

Lew, I think it would be a good idea to d/load the video files to your machine first, and watch from there. That way, they work just fine. The first is 2.1 Mb, the second is 3.85 Mb, so with any decent broadband, it´s just an instant to d/load..

Very impressed Achim, :bow:
I'll have to make some of those.
Cheers,
Phil

I like those too - thanks for posting it up!

Lew, the links run fine for me using GOMplayer.

Good morning

Sorry if some of you have problems with my videos.

I have just uploaded them to you tube, here are the two links:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNjrUaS9q1I[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWl8Qrlbj_Y[/ame]

I hope this might help a bit.

Achim

The links work OK for me as well. Excellent idea - I'll be hunting through my bearing drawer first thing in the morning! Thm:

Thats a great idea, Achim.
Thanks.
I could not get the original video to open either but the Utube video works fine.
Gail in NM

Latest posts

Back