"Dribbler" loco

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks I'm not in a big hurry because I have been making parts from pictures on the web. My biggest thing is the port holes for the piston and the pressure relief valve.

Thanks

Hi here is a few pics of my DRIBBLER, the GREEN CABIN is just a prototype cabin will make the original of Copper always do prototypes as copper is scarce and expensive Hoping to finish in a couple of weeks , will use fire lighters and the trays will also be made of Copper,
Many thanks to JOHN for all the help , still need some drawings of the Valves and connection Am using , 4mm Copper tube
Will send more pics later on
many thanks John
MIKE
P/S Any members in Brisbane, AUSI, ?..

Attachments

• MIKEs DRIBBLER   A.JPG
    MIKEs DRIBBLER A.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 254
  • MIKEs DRIBBLER   AB.JPG
    MIKEs DRIBBLER AB.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 256
  • MIKEs DRIBBLER   ABC.JPG
    MIKEs DRIBBLER ABC.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 254
  • MIKEs DRIBBLER   ABCD.JPG
    MIKEs DRIBBLER ABCD.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 285
Mike, it all looks fantastic! nice work!
The plans for the valves are in what I posted, drawings #900 & #950. (I think...)

John

Hi here is a few pics of my DRIBBLER, the GREEN CABIN is just a prototype cabin will make the original of Copper always do prototypes as copper is scarce and expensive Hoping to finish in a couple of weeks , will use fire lighters and the trays will also be made of Copper,
Many thanks to JOHN for all the help , still need some drawings of the Valves and connection Am using , 4mm Copper tube
Will send more pics later on
many thanks John
MIKE
P/S Any members in Brisbane, AUSI, ?..
Mike, I think you will have trouble making enough steam in such a small boiler if the wall thickness is 4mm copper, unless you have a lot of heat. I had that problem when I built my "Dickens". I used a fairly heavy walled brass tube for the boiler and it would not raise enough steam with alcohol burner as shown in the plans. I seem to recall LBSC recommending thin wall tubing for small boilers such as these.

Reactions: JRR
Mike, I think you will have trouble making enough steam in such a small boiler if the wall thickness is 4mm copper, unless you have a lot of heat. I had that problem when I built my "Dickens". I used a fairly heavy walled brass tube for the boiler and it would not raise enough steam with alcohol burner as shown in the plans. I seem to recall LBSC recommending thin wall tubing for small boilers such as these.
The plans for 'Dickens' call for a wall thickness of .035" (i.e. under 1mm) for the boiler shell. The working pressure is only 10 or 15 psi, so this is plenty strong enough. (I hydro tested my boiler to 60 psi anyway). There was no trouble raising enough steam - in fact I often used only one of the two burners to keep the engine speed reasonable when not pulling any cars.

The plans for 'Dickens' call for a wall thickness of .035" (i.e. under 1mm) for the boiler shell. The working pressure is only 10 or 15 psi, so this is plenty strong enough. (I hydro tested my boiler to 60 psi anyway). There was no trouble raising enough steam - in fact I often used only one of the two burners to keep the engine speed reasonable when not pulling any cars.
TINKER JIM, Hi my boiler is 50 mm dia and , 95 mm long , Copper . will try out the 4mm tube first then change later on, if need be, many thanks
MIKE

Tinker Jim,
Thanks for the plans they will be a big help.
I got my Dickens to a roller finally.
Still have a bunch of work to do but I'm having a ball finally finishing it.
Warren
1622628786519.png

Back