Dizzy I am THANK YOU ALL WHO HELPED ME I bought a South Bend today

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldncrusty

Reaction score
Thank you all who helped me here with my goofy questions as i went all over the map trying to find info,
and ya, more questions,,lol

I just bought a SB with the serial number 63244 "C" model
with leadscrew reverse lever,
workshop gear plate is on the "end of the cover"
3 1/2 foot bed
3/4 hole in spindle, 3/4 lead screw
ways are tight all along the length of bed
motor and bench mount pulley system

can someone tell me as much as posable about the lathe i just bought?
from the serial number,
I need to order the manual and re-build book
although it has original paint and zero rust, i want to take it down to nuts and bolts and re-do it,
why, because when im done,,it will be MINE,,my baby to build baby engines,
(i was disapointed there wasnt a milling attachment, lol,,

what type of bearings?
can this be converted up to a "B" or "A"
any info very much apriciated
thank you in advance
j

I have a friend who has been rebuilding a model B SB for the last couple of months. He lives about 40 miles from me and when I saw him a few days ago was getting ready to leave to visit his new grandbaby for a week or so. On the off chance he has not left yet, I emailed him your email address and this thread address.

He has a manual that he is quite impressed with and is following it closely. I just don't know what it is. He is a member of HMEM, but does not check in very often. If he has not left yet, maybe he can give you some hints on the rebuild manual.

Gail in NM

I'm gearing up to refurbish a long bed Model "A" right now.

I've bought the rebuild kit and rebuild manual online on the bay. I can say the manual is very detailed and explicit. I am now collecting the parts and options that I want for this lathe for the work it will do. Mostly clocks, but I'm sure and engine part or two. T slotted cross slide, milling attachment, high speed milling spindle, auxillary drive behind the bed. new bench ect....

I think the kit and book was 50 bucks...I'd say it was worth it for sure. Lots of little pitfalls that might get ya if your not paying attention...especially with a Model "A" change gear box, which is apparently a bit of riddle to the uninitiated.

I know the Yahoo Group has a long article about converting a B or C to an A.

Dave

Im going to keep it a "C",
I like the Basic, of it,
im trying to find out now if i have the 18 or 20 DP change gears as im missing some,
and need to buy them,
I wont be able to pick it up for two weeks, but,
im getting a bench ready and looking for the original paint color,
i want to strip it, and repaint, and replace anything worn out,
but in playing with it today its not in bad shape,
compared to my 12x36 griz it felt tighter,
just smaller, lol,,and thats a good thing for me,

The bearings on a SB9 are hardened steel running on cast iron...most likely...there were a few bronze bearing 9's, but they are some what rare.

The key to their longevity is that the oil fill is from the front and the only way to the bearing is through the spring loaded wick. This keeps the spindle bearings clean....which is why there is so many of them left...IMHO.

I'm going to strip mine down completely and repaint and repair. Some time later this year I'd say....that's the plan anyway. ::)

Dave

oh and by the way, practical machinist forum has a great SB section, moderated by Carla, who did a fabulous job refurbishing her SB9 A to the "nines"...pardon the pun....complete with a custom workbench and a great green blue color.....you might want to drool look at that....NICE!

Dave

Hi
As mentioned by GailinNM, this is just a note to endorse the rebuild manual I purchased (along with the refurbishment kit) from ILION Industrial Services thru ebay (go to www.ebay.com and look for seller ID: stevewb -- I think that will work)

I purchased the manual and a kit of materials designed for my 9B --
The manual is very detailed ( it is a 116 page compendium with lots of description and photos) and presents the information in detailed descriptions of what to do at each 'step' -- I've nearly finished the renovation of my SB 9B. You may need to find some specialty tools -- I did

If you do decide to purchase the manual and kit, I hope you find the below of use:
I found only two places where the manual seemed to me to have errors -- in both cases it's a reference to a figure that was probably entered in error --page 37 the description in step 39 refers to step '15'...after I decided step '15' was not right, I looked at step 51 and figured out what to do; similarly on page 85 the reference to step 121 is probably actually step 124.

Lou in NM

Ya, im over there too, got alot of questions answered,
im thinking the same color or maybe towards the gray/baby,blue,

Im so stoked, on this,
I bought it from the hometown i grew up in,,
from the son of the local sheriff, who i used to dodge in my car on the weekends,,lol,,
go figure,,,
he barely used it, but when he did his son said he built small cannons with it,,
I built a 24 pounder, replica of the canons on the US constitution,
24lx4dia, walnut carriage on my griz 12x36,one inch bore, 10 yrs ago,

i cant wait to finish my bob shores engine,

I know know i own a 1936 South Bend Model 415 precision/workshop lathe,
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :bow: :bow:

Latest posts

Back