Dividers - What size?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescotty

Reaction score
My birthday is coming up, and lacking a pair of dividers, I thought I'd perhaps ask for a set. I'll probably ask for Starrett. That brings up two questions:

1) Toolmaker's, Fay, or Yankee? Toolmaker's are cheapest, and probably fit the price range best.

2) 3" or 6"? What size do you use the most?

Scott

What are you going to use them for? Toolmaker's are lighter, probably better for more delicate work. Fay are more robust, if I'm remembering correctly. As to size....how far do you need to open them for what you're doing? Just guessing, I expect dividers can reasonably be opened to about half their size before it starts to get inconvenient.

i use my 6inch yankee starret one the most at work

3", 6", 8" and 10" - all see about equal work

IMHO dividers are the easiest to use when open 30 to 60 degrees or so. IIRC the ones I use the most are 4"" and 6".
Personal I Use my Jenny calipers AKA hermaphrodite calipers more than dividers. So You may want to look for a sett of those in the 3 to 6 in range also.
Tin

If limited to one, 6"-8" would be the range I would be looking at, leaning toward the 6". I have quite a collection of all sizes built up, but the 6" seems a convenient size for all around use. The 8" seems a little awkward for smaller diameters.

I personally like the Fay patent type, with "roundleg", or Yankee being second.

If you have the time, your collection can be added to by visiting yard sales or auctions, as these tools seem to go for low prices. I picked up a display board a couple of years ago with about 25 Starrett dividers and calipers on it (mostly Fay patent) for $2 each at an auction.

Opinions only, of course.

Kevin

Thank you everyone for your input. Sounds like 6" ones would be the way to go. I'm sure I'll acquire the others eventually.

Scott

Latest posts

Back