Detroit to Charlston

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im going to be making a trip from Detroit to South Carolina and was wondering if there is anything worth stopping along the way to see. Route is not set in stone so if you can think of anything feel free to blurt it out. I am interested in just about anything mechanical but not limited to.

Hawks Nest State park. On route 60 south east of Charleston West Virginia. A very scenic road and a cool view of the Gauley River and bridge. The bridge is the one they bungee jump off of and is very tall. The best part is you park and its about a 50 foot walk to the view so no huge time commitment

Hopewell plantation in lower Pennsylvania it's a colonial era iron furnace. They give a good show of how it was done.
In Charleston it's worth taking a tour. The downtown is neat. My nephew gives tours, he really likes small groups a night for the ghost tour. Drop me a pm if interested. Across the river is Patriots point with the aircraft carrier Yorktown and several other ships. Ft sumpter is in the bay. I think the Hunley is on display now.
Dave

HTML:
"Hopewell plantation in lower Pennsylvania it's a colonial era iron furnace."

If you hit PA might as well hit Grizzly Tool in Muncy PA and buy some machines!

John

Ashville has some very cool metamorphic rocks, some of the nicest people, and the beauty of the Appalachians.

Latest posts

Back