Deburring wheels

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocaquita

Reaction score
Hi,
Looking to get a deburring wheel for a 6" bench grinder. With so many different wheels out there, can anyone recommend a specific wheel for general deburring and edge rounding? Been looking at the 3M EXL wheels, but not sure which one to get.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave

You got a wide choice here. I have 2 grinding machines. My best one has a coarse stone that handles pretty much everything from rough grinding to brass and ally. I know you shouldn't grind brass and ally but the coarse stone copes. A quick dress with a diamond (recommended extra) soon brings it back. The other end has a wire brush, great for cleaning, rough polishing, de burring. My other grinder is a super cheap one (£10.00 I think it was) has a green stone for tungsten carbide tools on one end and a polishing mop on the other. Its not as powerful as the other machine but ok for touching up cutting tools and light polishing. Both machines are mounted to a bit of board which I clamp to the bench when needed otherwise they stow away under the bench.

Cheers

Rich

I have not used these wheel . they are meant for industrial production work. That is not to say one can or should not use one in the shop. here is a 3M guide that may or may not help you decide.3-M Guide
I would think the selection would be based on what material you are using and the thickness. You may have to try a couple.

Here is similar to what I use for general deburing
0042452-11.jpg

in tech school we used a file. primitive but effective.
Tin

One of the grinder guys at work keeps a grey 3m deburring wheel on one of the little surface grinders, but I don't know which it is. It's a bit like a really solid Scotch-Brite pad, and I really like the finish it leaves on steel. It's a bit too aggressive on aluminum.

Excellent choice we use these wheels a lot at the shop where I work. Not sure which density though if I had to guess it would be the softer. We use them on material from tool steel to soft aluminum. You just have to go easy on the softer material. They are a little spendy though.

They are brilliant at de-burring and quick, as Doc says spendy so after I had worn two away at £35 each from J&L I bought a pack of scotchbrite pads at £8 for 10 on offer.

I use 5 pads cut with scissors to a circle and clamped up between two plywood formers. Every so often I have to grind the plywood back with a dressing stick to give me more life.

I use the green ones as these seem better for general purpose.

John S.

John Stevenson said:
They are brilliant at de-burring and quick, as Doc says spendy so after I had worn two away at £35 each from J&L I bought a pack of scotchbrite pads at £8 for 10 on offer.

I use 5 pads cut with scissors to a circle and clamped up between two plywood formers. Every so often I have to grind the plywood back with a dressing stick to give me more life.

John S.

Wonderful kink. Thanks for that idea. I just picked up a pack of 8 pads, on sale for $3.99 at Home depot. now I know what I can do with all of them. 8)
Kermit

John Stevenson said:

John S.

Excellent idea that deserves and karma! :bow:

I use a fine 3M EXL with aluminum oxide abrasive on a 3600-RPM bench grinder with the guard, but without the tool rest. The size is 6" x 1/2". It works fantastic on small aluminum and steel parts. You need to be a little careful on aluminum, as the wheel cuts surprisingly fast on corners, depending on the pressure. It's fine on steel. The wheel tends to remove very little material on large flat areas, but knocks sharp features off. It's great for cleaning up the first thread of a single-pointed thread or chopped-off screw, and for blending out the tool marks of end-milled flat surfaces. I'd never want to do without one, now.

Thank you everyone for your input and ideas!

rklopp said:
I use a fine 3M EXL with aluminum oxide abrasive on a 3600-RPM bench grinder with the guard, but without the tool rest. The size is 6" x 1/2". It works fantastic on small aluminum and steel parts. You need to be a little careful on aluminum, as the wheel cuts surprisingly fast on corners, depending on the pressure. It's fine on steel. The wheel tends to remove very little material on large flat areas, but knocks sharp features off. It's great for cleaning up the first thread of a single-pointed thread or chopped-off screw, and for blending out the tool marks of end-milled flat surfaces. I'd never want to do without one, now.

rklopp ~ Would that be a "8" hardness?

Got really fond of them at a place I use to work at. Very quick, easy, very smooth!

I don't recall the hardness, but I think it was toward the upper end of what was available on sale at the time from Enco or MSC.

rklopp said:
I don't recall the hardness, but I think it was toward the upper end of what was available on sale at the time from Enco or MSC.

Thanks buddy!

Dave

Latest posts

Back