Cylinder Sleeve Source

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2steam

Reaction score
I'm a newbe, probably a bit over my head.
I'm in the process of rebuilding a water pump that dates back to the late 18 early 1900's. Pump designed to be run with a hit miss engine. I want to resleeve the cylinder. Where can one go to source a piece of SS pipe, 3" in diameter, 1/16's wall thickness.
I plan on epoxy to hold in place. Length cylinder needs only be 12" or so.
Thank you in advance.

Why wouldn't SS make a good sleeve? This is vintage old technology we're talking about. The cylinder may be subjected to a max of 120 strokes a minute, the pistons are leather cups at around 3" diameter. Fluid is always in the cylinder. Stroke of eight inches at best. I'll try to upload a picture of this animal.
Thanks again for all you help and advice.

f-real.jpg

f-woodin.jpg

Stainless steel has horrible friction and wear properties. Even Delrin sliding on stainless ends badly for the stainless, as stainless particles transfer to the plastic and the wear turns into stainless on stainless, which leads to gall city. I recommend bronze or a high copper brass, like naval brass.

Interesting comment, makes since. Where do I go for product you suggest? Thank you!!

Interesting comment, makes since. Where do I go for product you suggest? Thank you!!

Enco has bearing bronze that would work. It's not cheap, at roughly $10/inch length. Online Metals has it cheaper. Both outfits have occasional 10% and even 20% off sales.

You will have to machine both the ID and OD to get an acceptable finish for a machine part.

I assume you will only use this pump for shows, not in constant service. Would a piece of copper pipe work for a sleeve? It should be round enough inside for a leather piston cup, and wont rust. A lot cheaper and easy to find over the bronze.

You all are great, thank you for all your comments. I'm in serious debate with the last two suggestions.

I have no valid reason not to use copper. You're correct, occasional use.

Since it is using leather could you just increase the bore to clean it up and make a new piston ? Or would the new leather take up the difference ?

Mike

I have no valid reason not to use copper. You're correct, occasional use.

One valid reason is if you have to machine it. Copper is no fun to machine compared to bronze (the tin kind), brass, and cast gray iron. It is very gummy and "grabby." I think it also has a tendency to gall in wear applications. It has to do with the ease with which tiny particles weld to exposed microscopic mountain peaks on the surface, and tear out additional particles, creating a snowball effect.

Back