Cutting fliuds

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBore

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gots a couple of questions:

Obviously a lot of people have their favorite cutting fluids. I've seen one that is the water soluble oil. Does anyone use this. Where is a source for it? I've seen it in 55 gal drums but nothing in the home shop sizes. Is it any good? I saw it mentioned in a series of instructional videos by MIT. Obviously, I'm referring to use on the steels. The 9 X 20 types of machines that I'm considering don't have the coolant systems so I would be using the good ol' squeeze bottle. Here's the link to the videos that I'm referring to.

http://techtv.mit.edu/videos/142-machine-shop-1

This link brings up the second question: Does the information on these 10 videos seem applicable for the home machinist? What would be some other good sources for newbie machinist/home modelers? Either on the web or in publication. I've got the Tubal Cain books, the KN Harris book and Model Engineering by Peter Wright. I also down loaded a couple of circa 1900 books on Google books; A Handbook on the Steam Engine and Steam Engines - Principals and Practice. Any other good sources on engines or modeling in general and metal working techniques would be appreciated.

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated and filed away in my growing library of Addictive Behavior and it's Financial Consequences. ;)

Ed

BB,

I am sure many of your fellow US members will know of a source for small amounts of soluble cutting oils/fluids, (synthetics). Personally in a home environment the synthetics are more likely to cause rust problems on the machine. For the most part I use ISO 68 hydraulic oil applied with a 1" paint brush. The down side is the fumes given off where heavy cuts are taken so you need good ventilation.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

universal cutting fluid made by synthetic lubricants from kbc tool is what we use in all our coolant systems, 1 gal is $19 5 gal is $92 a 10:1 ratio of water to oil is reccomended for flood systems. the oil actually prevents rust unless your using way too low of concentration of oil. a mist system might be worth looking at also, i prefer flood but i realise thats not really practical for most hobbists. whatever you do dont get the blue looking soluble oil, it separates from the water after it has been sitting for awhile and wont redisolve.

SmartFlix has a DVD rental service and several good machining videos.

I use KoolMist as a flood and it does ok, though I don't use it that much. In the past I used some synthetic stuff I got from a friend that worked great but only comes in 55 gallon drums :(. It can be difficult getting many coolants in less than 5 gallon buckets. Some places will send out free samples, but then you may have a salesperson show up some day looking for the machine shop...

Note that there's 'coolant' and 'cutting fluid' and though one works for the other, they do have specific purposes.

hammers-n-nails said:
universal cutting fluid made by synthetic lubricants from kbc tool is what we use in all our coolant systems, 1 gal is $19 5 gal is $92 a 10:1 ratio of water to oil is reccomended for flood systems.

I searched for this at KBC and didn't find it. Got a link? Thanks.

I appreciate the get backs. It's brings up the question. When I watched the MIT videos they were squirting something out of a squeeze bottle, on aluminum and steels. It looked like milk. Was that for cutting or cooling? I would think cutting fluids increase the lubricity and therefore the generated heat. Coolant would be meant to carry away generated heat. Am I close? Is that the idea of a universal fluid, to serve both purposes?

yeah your pretty much right. and that fluid is labled as lubricoolant. the lubricating part is to lubricate the formed chip against the bit so it will eject better, and decrease heat generated to an extent i suppose. i would think that a coolant that contains water would keep parts cooler since the water will absorb heat as it evaporates, whereas ,oil which does work alot better than nothing, doesnt to my knowledge. oil is pretty expensive to use if your using alot, oil being about $2.50/quart and a 10:1(plenty rich id say) solution of cutting oil being about $.50/quart. the old man used this cutting fluid on a mist system with about a 30:1 mix and drilled about 230 7/8" holes in 3/8" plate for the boiler stays with the same bit without resharpening and it still looks like new using bout 1-1 1/2galons of solution, that might not impress some of you but it did me. i dont know all the scientific details on this subject but i can say what i know from my own experiance

Back