Counter Sink Cutter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernd

Reaction score
Here's how I made an 82 degree countersink cutter. It took three tries and two days, well maybe not 2 days but I worked on it two different days. The wobbler I'm building calls for a countersink on the base plate for 2-56 screws that hold the frame to it. I know I had a counter sink but didn't realize it would be to big. What to do? ??? Well, why not make one. I got some .375" drill rod and proceeded to make one..........or two.............. or three. :eek:

The first picture shows, from left to right, the hex fixture for cutting from one sided to six sided cutters. It has a .500" hole through the center, a sleeve to bring the .500" hole to a .375" hole, the blank .375" drill rod with an 82 degree point turned on it and the large counter sink I have.

pic14.jpg

I wanted to cut 3 cutting edges on it. I set it up in the Sherline mill, and proceeded to mill out the excess stock.

pic15.jpg

Attempt one was a failure. I got the cutter lined up to far beyond center. When I started to cut the second edge I broke through to the first edge I had cut. Dam :mad:

pic16.jpg

Ok, lets try again. Second attempt. Since I had the Sherline set up to mill I used my Grizzly lathe and a spare 4 jaw to make a new blank. This is a fast way to get the part to run as close to true as possible. The blank only wobbled about .010". In no time I had a second blank to cut.

pic17.jpg

Second blank, NO GOOD. Dam! :( The cutter slide down in the collet because of vibration and cut below the center line of the cutter. :mad: You can just make out the cutting edge beyond the center line on the failed cutter on the right.Time for a beer and some thought. So I retired to the lazyboy with a beer and a Model Engine Builder magazine.

pic18.jpg

Second day. Another blank made in the lathe. Only this time I used my Grizzly Mini-mill and a larger cutter. Seems like it worked this time. ;D But as I look at this last picture I realize that the cutting edge is on the curved part of the cut. :p Well maybe it'll still work. :-\ Going to hand file the relieve on it and give it a try.

pic19.jpg

I'll report back with a pic or two when I'm done.

Isn't machining fun? 8)

nicely done, are you going to relieve it by hand?

Thanks kustomkb. Yes I am. I guess I could also use a Dremel tool, but would rather do it with a file.

BTW, I did cut the bit correctly. I was looking at the tool from the bottom up. The straight sides will be the cutting edge when the tool rotates clockwise. Hopefuly tomorrow I'll have a finished product and a nice counter sunk hole as proof.

Bernd

Latest posts

Back