Could be left with 2 holes in bench - dozy idea?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

student123

Reaction score
I'm new to model engineering. I have a basement diy workshop which gets some damp I it , so I avoid storing electrical items there.
In it theres a fine wooden bench, with a vice at one end

Iv'e recently bought a bench drill, it has a base with 2 bolt holes for mounting.
My idea is to drill holes in my bench, then bolt the bench drill down. But when not needed, lift it up & take it away for drier storage.
Just I'll be left with 2 holes in the benchtop , the plan is simply to leave the bolts in there.

Just feels a bit 'inelegant' (dozy?) an approach - any thoughts?

You will get tired of putting bolts in and out pretty quickly. Get a couple of big Destaco clamps to hold it down with. Very quick, very secure, and very easy to release.

me i would figger out what is making it damp in there then solve that problem.
then i could concentrate on tools that will stay rust free.
there are many different ways to keep water out heat is one way to get started.

I have a dehumidifier under my bench in the basement and I oil my tools when needed.
As far as the holes issue I have several bench tools that I do not bolt down to the bench even though they have mounting holes. the band saw just sits on the bench. as do a couple of others If you feel no mounting is to unstable mount it to a piece of plywood or a plank to give a larger more stable foot print. My basement benches are home made from salvaged lumber so a couple of holes would not bother me but if I had a fine wooded bench I would not drill holes in it.
So my advice mount the drill to a board, clamp down to the bench when and if needed.
Tin

I've done both the bolt-to-a-board-and-clamp-the-board and drill-and-bolt-the-bench (T-nuts are great for this). Drill and bolt is more secure in the end, but unless you lean on the tool, rarely worth the effort.

Thanks for the replies, bolt to a larger piece of wood & clamp sounds like a good option.

Latest posts

Back