correct ways to use faceplate for turning...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willburrrr2003

Reaction score
Do any of you fine folks know of links to any sites or articles that discuss mounting and turning parts on the faceplate? I am still very new to lathe use, and have not as yet done any faceplate turning. I see the need to do so coming up when I move to bigger and cooler projects. I am looking for mounting techniques, balancing techniques, jigs, etc... This is an important step for me top learn as I do not have a mill to work any parts with only my lathe. I am in the process of turning the compound from my cross slide into a y-axis on my lathe, but that is only in its infancy....and will only allow some light milling applications.

Thanks,

Will R.

Will :
look through my getting started in model engineering thread there are lots of links to good books there.
The army fundamental of machine tools book and the navy repairman manual have a lot of basic stuff.
The face plate is very versatile the main points
place clamps out of the way of the tool and cutting path.
clamp securely balance the weight with counterweights if needed.
sorry am not thinking of chapter and verse or page numbers at the moment.
another old classic the Joshua rose book fundamentals of machining i think.
Tin

Thanks Tin, I'll give a read thru of your getting started post :)

Regards,

Will

I always try to put a thread in bottom of material and a long bolt through the spindle.
Centering ,further clamping and balancing is much easier that way

Try to look here : http://modelenginenews.org/

Search faceplate and you'll see some 30 construction articles of small IC engines, where Ron or co. are telling how-to with pictures. I know that at least one or two of them are great (it's been a while since I read them).

When you start setting up on a faceplate, you will quickly discover you need three hands: one to hold the work and two to install and tighten the clamps. It's a lot easier if you make a block with a duplicate of your lathe spindle nose that you can clamp in your vise, spindle nose up, so you can mount the faceplate horizontally while doing the setup.

Roland Gaucher, of "Rollie's dad's method of lathe alignment" fame, made a duplicate spindle nose that can rotate, so he can mount the faceplate horizontally, do the setup, then turn the faceplate vertically to check the balance.

Thanks everyone for the great replies! I have found much usable information in the links so far, and still have many more to read through :bow:

Regards,

Will R.

Back