Copy machine goodies.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeusrekning

Reaction score
If any of you guys can ever get ahold of one of these large commercial copying machine jump on it. Here are some pics of the components I salvaged.
Quite alot of drill rod. And a length of small chain.
MVC-001S-1.jpg

AC and DC motors.
MVC-003S-1.jpg

Eight solenoids and some electric brakes/clutches.
MVC-004S-2.jpg

A stash of gears.
MVC-005S-2.jpg

Ball bearings and bronze bushings.
MVC-008S-1.jpg

These goodies should come in handy.
Tim

What a good haul, Well done :bow: :bow: :bow:
All the best
Malcolm

Nice job! I threw out 2 large laser printers a few years ago. Before i got into this hobby. I really regret it now.

Eric

they don't even have to be large ones, as any that does the double side coping will have the drive belts, and a host of electronic gizmos.
They are a great source of parts.

The glass platens make very good surface plates or flatting down plates. Don't drop anything heavy on them though.

zeusrekning, glad to see that someone does what I do, going to get my wife to come the post, she says to me when I get one to tear down that I should just get what I want, all them nice gears,shafts, bearings, just last week a fellow gave me a commercial paper shredder, took three of us to get it in the truck, had two inch shafts, a lot of big bearings, one horse motor, worm gears, I was like a kid in a candy store, glad for U, Cando

Bogstandard said:
The glass platens make very good surface plates or flatting down plates. Don't drop anything heavy on them though.
Yes John, Cedge has already recommended this. I had no idea the glass was as thick as it is

lathe nut said:
zeusrekning, glad to see that someone does what I do, going to get my wife to come the post, she says to me when I get one to tear down that I should just get what I want, all them nice gears,shafts, bearings, just last week a fellow gave me a commercial paper shredder, took three of us to get it in the truck, had two inch shafts, a lot of big bearings, one horse motor, worm gears, I was like a kid in a candy store, glad for U, Cando

:big: I'm like a maget on week old meat when it comes to slavaging goodies ;D . The stuff some people throw away.
Tim

Old dot matrix printers and even the more modern ink jet printers will have many similar bits and pieces.

And scanners too And don't forget Tape drives and CD/DVD drives and floppy disk drives, and old fax machines - all sorts of bits and pieces and small metric hardware.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

Tim,

I do this sort of salvage all the time, but there is a problem.

After a while, you end up with boxes of the stuff.

So what I do after it has been reduced to rubble, is sort it into good junk and bad junk.

You have to say to yourself about each part, 'will I ever use it', even a slight doubt on my part and it now goes in the trash. The world won't come to an end if you throw away a piece that you can use five years down the line. A few thousand small pieces 'that will be used eventually', become a rather large storage problem.

A good example are the motors, I have just given away many hundreds of them, It took two people to carry the box. I think I have used maybe three or four in the last five years. I did keep a few choice ones just in case.

John

Geared Motors.JPG

Plain Motors.JPG

John, I wish I were your neighbor. I am working on my junk collecting problem now but occasionally relapse. It seems as soon as I throw stuff away something comes up where I could use it.
Tim

I think that is a relative of Murphy's law. I too have saved stuff for years, then found it a new home, and next week found a use for it when I no longer had it.

It is amazing how much enjoyment one can get taking various things apart. You also learn how some clutches, brakes, gears etc. work. A whole education in itself.

Cheers

Don

Bogstandard said:
, but there is a problem.

After a while, you end up with boxes of the stuff.

Isn't that the truth! been there done that have the drawers full of crap to prove it. not worth it imo, waste of time, better off to buy what you need than spend hours filling boxes full of junk you'll never touch...but next machine i come up with, I'll probably do it again

Yea, but it sure is fun taking stuff apart.. I have a old copy machine just waiting for disecting. I probably throw at least one HP deskjet printer away a week. The newer ones don't have much to salvage.
Julian

Back