convert a cad printed page to STL file

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrputz1

Reaction score
Does any one know how to convert a printed cad dwg page to an STL file for 3d printing ?

you can download REPETITOR on the net
or if you use export and other format .stl is there

stl.jpg

convert a printed cad dwg page to an STL file for 3d printing ?

Not sure if this is helpful, but here goes...

If you have a solid model in a cad package, I think most will 'export' to .stl format. Here is a link to some info http://www.protocam.com/html/stl.html

If you mean you simply have a 2D paper drawing of a 3D object, I'm pretty sure this must be (re)generated within a 3D modeler package based on that geometry. I'm not aware of any 1-step, Scan>3d operation (with any degree of accuracy). Is that what you mean, or maybe clarify.

Looks like even Google sketchup can export (with utility add-on?). Not sure as I dont use it myself, but mentioning as a possible low cost option to check into.
http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/sketchup-stl
http://www.cerebralmeltdown.com/cncstuff/stl/index.htm

I googled 'REPETITOR' with/without 'STL' in the search box, but didnt get a likely hit of what Luke was suggesting. Maybe he can provide a link.

Repetier is driver software for 3D printers , as such it is almost certainly has steep learning curve , and is probably unsuitable for your requirements.
Are you already competent with 2D cad ? as far as I am aware there is no software that converts a 2D drawing (DXF/DWG) into a 3D format for uploading to print .
However something like 2D/3D ViaCad is not difficult to use and the making of simple shapes can be learned quite quickly, more complex parts will need experience but once you have the principle the experience will quickly grow.
Like any skill there are no quick fixes that are worthwhile.

If you can work CAD it's almost a walk thrue the park.
you can import your CAD or do your own drawing with it

enjoy

Perhaps you can explain how to draw in Repetier please Luc because all I see is a facility for importing an STL file , slicing it and converting to G-code for up-loading to a 3D printer.
I can't see any facility for drawing and certainly no facility to convert a DXF to an STL.
Perhaps the windows host is different to the Mac host.

Does any one know how to convert a printed cad dwg page to an STL file for 3d printing ?

this was the original question

If you can work CAD it's almost a walk thrue the park.
you can import your CAD or do your own drawing with it

I should have make sure that their was no grey area when I answered
"you can import your CAD drawing" that you have in file OR DRAW A NEW ONE AND IMPORT IT
but botom line is this
If you can use CAD your smart enought to use REPETIER
I hope this was clear enought

Latest posts

Back