Connecting rod bearings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fla Jim

Reaction score
Please help a rookie out.
I'm planing to build a few engines. Right now I''m starting a simple one, "The river queen".
I must confess, I'm intimidated by small size parts.
My question is; How do you split the bearing on a con rod? I've got the part about drilling the holes for the fasteners, and drilling the journal after splitting. But what's the procedure for cutting it in half? I foresee the loose half flying off, never to be seen again. And I'm scared to have fingers anywhere next to the slitting saw!!
Thanks for the help.

Jim

If the connecting rod is steel you might be able to rig a small magnet near to it to catch it when it pops free from the parent stock. If the rod is non-ferrous then think about super gluing a small handle to it. After it's cut the handle can be removed by dissolving the glue with acetone.

Rather than cutting the piece from the connecting rod, I make it from a separate piece of stock, drill it and attach it to the rod before final machining of the rod.

I have found that if you split the end of a con rod after its bored, then the hole in the end of the con rod will not be round, but will be oval, because of the peice of material removed in the sawcut or slitting operation. Do it like Marv says---Make the con rod and face it off exactly on center of the journal. Make the con rod cap as a seperate peice and bolt it to the con rod. THEN-drill and ream the assembled con-rod and cap. That way the hole in the end of the con rod will be perfectly round. (Hope I'm not teaching my grandma how to suck eggs here!!!)

I have soldered 2 pieces of flat stock together (bronze). Chuck the pieces in the 4 jaw so the piece will be centered. Machine the bearing entirely and after everything is done scratch some kind of witness mark on it so you can get it together the same way every time.

Then just heat it up and it will pop apart.

I belong to the two piece school of thought as well, bolt the blank cap onto the blank rod before machining it.

Making it out of two pieces is a good idea.
But anyone that has for example built a "Stuart 10V" with the precast con rod. How did you split that?
Maybe gluing or soldering it to a piece of scrap?

From memory, the 10V connecting rod has a lot of spare metal, and an 'ovoid' hole, to allow splitting and machining after the bolt holes are drilled and tapped. That's how I did it, at any rate.

tel said:
From memory, the 10V connecting rod has a lot of spare metal, and an 'ovoid' hole, to allow splitting and machining after the bolt holes are drilled and tapped. That's how I did it, at any rate.
How exactly did you split it?

On Bogstandard's "Paddleducks" engine, there are split big ends on the eccentric rods. The way they are made is in two halves-- make the two blanks, bolt them together as they will be, then drill the center hole right on the line.

fla Jim said:
How exactly did you split it?

With a junior hacksaw - scribed a line across it, held it in the vise with the line just showing above the jaw, and had at it. Bit of a lick with a file to true it up & the job was a good 'un.

tel said:
With a junior hacksaw - scribed a line across it, held it in the vise with the line just showing above the jaw, and had at it. Bit of a lick with a file to true it up & the job was a good 'un.
That answered my question. Somewhere in my stuff I have a "exacto razor saw" that would work good for that task.
thank you so much.

Jim

Latest posts

Back