Compressor question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Ratcliffe

Reaction score
Hi All,
Nearing the end of a traction engine build and thinking about next project. Obviously steam power is great on the traction engine, but I see a lot of you use compressed air on your stationary "steam" engines. I was looking at the Lampost Engine post today and obviously to power that inside isn't going to work with steam !
So, I guess I am looking for some guidance on what sort of compressor you all recommend for small stationary "steam" engines ??
Many thanks
Ken

Most of us have a compressor in our shop, so we use that. The engine shows (not happening now due to Covid) don't allow live steam, but may furnish air for demonstration. For one engine, it depends on the engine.

Some have been able to use aquarium pumps for demonstrating one engine. For short-term use you may be able to use one of the small 12V compressors sold to take in your car for flat tires: You just need to come up with a 12VDC Power Supply.

There have also been a few compressor builds on these forums over the years.

It has also been suggested that for demonstration use you might be able to use a bycycle pump or one of the foot-pedal pumps sold here and there. You could add a tank to store air.

I "have been gonna" get a cheap 12V compressor (About $8.00 from Harbor Freight here in the U.S.: I'm sure you have an equivalent cheap tool store where you live). I have a bunch of power supplies lying around I can use to power it.

--ShopShoe

For short-term use you may be able to use one of the small 12V compressors sold to take in your car for flat tires: You just need to come up with a 12VDC Power Supply.

There have also been a few compressor builds on these forums over the years.

I "have been gonna" get a cheap 12V compressor (About $8.00 from Harbor Freight here in the U.S.: I'm sure you have an equivalent cheap tool store where you live). I have a bunch of power supplies lying around I can use to power it.

--ShopShoe

The main problem with the tyre inflator compressors is that they are extremely noisy, and would not be welcome in a show environment. They claim quite high psi outputs but the air volume is very small.
The cheap Aldi/ Lidl ones are also very noisy for the workshop, unless you have a place outside the shop to put it while being used.
Be aware that many cheap compressors are only 50% duty cycle. 20 mins. use and 20 mins rest sort of cycle, otherwise the motors tend to burn out.
For a small quiet compressor that is easily portable, have a look at something like eBay 293135718151.
I use a Nuair compressor as in eBay 324424914020 (but I didn't pay that much for it!), also I don't tend to use much air in the workshop so the small tank capacity is not an inconvenience for me.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Latest posts

Back