Compressed air safety

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does a rusty tank leak or explode? The explosion idea comes from the 3rd post of this thread, but as shown the owner of that air compressor performed his own poorly thought-out repair on the tank. He had no idea what he was doing and he should have scrapped the tank when it started leaking. From my own personal experience, old tanks give a lot of warning when they start going bad.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/stateface/ca/05ca010.html
This air tank exploded from an explosive detonation of oil inside the tank. It sounds like a process similar to dieseling in a springer air rifle. People who are contemplating coating the inside of the air tank to avoid pin holes decades later should think carefully about this.

Does a rusty tank leak or explode? The explosion idea comes from the 3rd post of this thread, but as shown the owner of that air compressor performed his own poorly thought-out repair on the tank. He had no idea what he was doing and he should have scrapped the tank when it started leaking. From my own personal experience, old tanks give a lot of warning when they start going bad.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/stateface/ca/05ca010.html
This air tank exploded from an explosive detonation of oil inside the tank. It sounds like a process similar to dieseling in a springer air rifle. People who are contemplating coating the inside of the air tank to avoid pin holes decades later should think carefully about this.
Based solely on what I have read in this and other forums ... most of the time they develop pinholes that leak. But once in a while there can be a "sudden unplanned deconstruction" event.

Hi Andy, re: a "sudden unplanned deconstruction".... Been reading NASA reports again?
A bit like a "near instantaneous dismantling, exhibited as a result of some chemical actuated mechanical instability..." ?

In laymans' English: "It went "BANG!" mister".

Just read Krypto's thread and the California state report. I guess you could also have some light volatile products from the compressor oil with a low ignition point accumulating in the receiver that initiates the "bang". (Like "easy-start" ether spray on a cold day on that big old diesel engine). The report suggests carbon build-up in the pipeline from the compressor restricting the line and causing a high temperature to develop can cause a burning carbon particle as the ignition source. But do not say there was evidence of carbon build-up...? I suspect hot oil vapour to be a more likely spontaneous ignition source? - But I know "Nuthing"... Dieseling in the compressor cylinder would inject a flame and/or shock-wave through the exhaust valve in the compressor down the pipe to the receiver. Ka-boom!
K2

Latest posts

Back