Commer knocker

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browny289

Reaction score
Any one ever tried to build a model of a commer knocker motor?

Now that is a scary proposition!!

Had a couple of them blow up right under my (ask ya mother for sixpence)!!

Only thing still in the truck was the flywheel!!

Dave

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a commer knocker motor like? Is that something found primarily in Australia?
I grew up in the oil fields of eastern New Mexico, and never heard that name.
ron2

Just this week, I've overhauled a 125KVA generating set with a 4 cylinder Detroit 2 stroke diesel engine. Most mechanics over here never heard about a 2 stroke, "oil in the crank pan" engine:)

The engine was a Tilling Stevens Diesel with a Rootes Blower

I only live about 1/2 mile from Listers works and know quite a few who worked there (and a couple who still do) but I had not heard of this one till now. I have heard of the principle though.

As a slight aside I believe some WWII German bombers had 2 Stroke diesels hence the characteristic "Drone" as the engines were more difficult to synchronize than petrol engines. Also the old "Field Marshall" tractors had a huge single cylinder two stroke. They are fascinating to watch, at low R.P.M. they actually bounce up and down as the engine fires.

The horizontally opposed idea with a common combustion chamber was used in the famous "Deltic" locos.

This would be an interesting engine to model but drawings might be difficult as most of Lister's archive was destroyed by a fire some years ago
but I could enquire if anyone is interested.

Regards Mark

Latest posts

Back