collets for bridgeport miller

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erik58

Reaction score
hello- I have a bridgeport miller with a M head I've had a terrible time finding collets for it.Igot a set of m-2's they didnt fit. got a another set for a m-2 they sort of work they go up into the spingle about 3/8" I'm lost on what to do. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Erik

Erik

Every Bridgeport I've ever run had a R8 taper spindle as original
equipment, but they have all been industrial machines.

I don't know that Bridgeport never used a different taper in their
mills, just that I personally have never seen anything other than an R8.
Maybe someone else here has.

Rick

I know absolutely nothing about Bridgeport or any other type of mills but when I read Erik's post I went to my old buddy "Google" and he said about the same as Rick R8
Mel :?

R8 is common, but I know the early models used Morse and Brown & Sharpe tapers. If you've tried the MT2 and it's not right, dig up a chart or something (google) for the B&S sizes. Maybe that's what you have.

If I recall correctly, my neighbor (an old crusty retired machinist) had mentioned that the old Bridgys sometimes used the B&S collets. If I can catch him, I will ask the question again, and put the answer here.

Best of luck!

bhjones said:
R8 is common, but I know the early models used Morse and Brown & Sharpe tapers. If you've tried the MT2 and it's not right, dig up a chart or something (google) for the B&S sizes. Maybe that's what you have.

Here's a link to a Brown & Sharpe Taper Specs Chart.

Rick

The M cam in No. 2 Morse, B & S No. 7 or a B-3 taper. B&S pops up on ebay. Never seen a B-3.

Does the taper fit right and the drawbar not screw in? Some MT2 collets have metric thread and not the standard 3/8-16.

I made sure that it wasn't metric. 3/8-16 I got a set of b&s collets but when they tighten they go way up in the spingle.I'm having a hard time trying to find a set. thanks Erik

Bogstandard- thank you so much! I've found the right one the fellow I brought them from gave me the wrong one. the one I have is 3 5/32 long and .724 I have no Idea what number they are. best wishes Erik :lol:

Latest posts

Back