Coleman lantern glass for Sterling engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebs

Reaction score
Does any one know if gas light globes glass can be cut in the "normal" way for use in Sterling engines? I was wondering if it made different because of the hot environment it is made for. Would you use hot and cold water to brake the glass? Or tap the score line.

I am new to this, but curious, seems that the gas light globe would be a monster cylinder. The ones I have seen are 3" or so in diameter. What did you have in mind?

Oh, BTW, I do a lot of glass work, but can't answer your question. However, I have seen them break and they don't appear to be tempered. My guess is they could be cut.

I am new to this, but curious, seems that the gas light globe would be a monster cylinder. The ones I have seen are 3" or so in diameter. What did you have in mind?

Oh, BTW, I do a lot of glass work, but can't answer your question. However, I have seen them break and they don't appear to be tempered. My guess is they could be cut.
I make almost every thing from the junk pile under the bench and have an unused globe that is almost 5 inches in diameter. I will be using it for the displacer cylinder. Plans call for about 110 mm. and this will be a little larger. Carl

I've seen a Coleman Lantern glass used as the displacer cylinder in a Sterling engine. I can't find the link to it but I remember how it was done. He used 2 1/4" thick aluminium plates with a groove cut in each for O-rings that would seal the ends of the glass cylinder. Springs were used to sandwich the glass cylinder between the aluminium plates. The springs were used as the glass must be able expand and contract with changing temperatures without breaking. The displacer piston was constructed of foam insulation covered with aluminium foil.

Update: Found the link to a Sterling engine using Coleman Lantern glass.
http://www.jonbondy.com/ColemanThree.htm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back