Co2 Regulator

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where this one should be, so here it goes. Anybody know how to regulate co2. I want to run the Micro HOSC on Co2. I have an old Telco engine that i can rob the filler and holding tank from. I need to get down to 45 Psi. I have no idea what the starting pressure is. I will fill the holding tank from little Co2 bottles that are about 5/8 around and 3 inches tall. I think they are supposed to be for whipped cream dispensing.

I need to build a miniature regulator. Smaller the better.

You might try one of the small regualators for an air compressor if your supply pressure will be low enough. If you have a high pressure cylinder, then you can fill a tank to 125PSI or so (with a regulator, of course), then use the small regualtor to control your engine supply. Just a thought.....

You can probably find a regulator at a paintball shooting range. They've also got some of the larger Co2 bottles for the paintball guns, something like 20 oz or so. Co2 is stored at a pretty high pressure, I think it's over 800 psi. So, you'll need to make sure the regulator can handle that much pressure.

ksouers said:
You can probably find a regulator at a paintball shooting range. They've also got some of the larger Co2 bottles for the paintball guns, something like 20 oz or so. Co2 is stored at a pretty high pressure, I think it's over 800 psi. So, you'll need to make sure the regulator can handle that much pressure.

Here is a picture of the engine and a picture of the Co2 parts. I would find it hard to believe the pressure would be as high as 800 lbs. Also no need for a larger tank. There is a gizmo that the small cylinders goes into, then that is used to fill the holding tank. I thought if I split the line between the tank and engine, and insert a regulator, i could run the micro without having to use compressed air. The line is 1/16 copper so making something small and simple is my goal.

Telco.jpg

DSCN1571.JPG

Yep, the vapor pressure of Co2 is 870 psi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide. Scroll down to Uses.

Regulators are usually fairly heavy and bulky items. That's because they have a diaphram and a spring in them to help regulate the pressures, the larger the better.

Are you wanting to use that engine in an airplane? You may be better off just using a needle valve.

ksouers said:
Are you wanting to use that engine in an airplane? You may be better off just using a needle valve.

I was hoping to run the engine in the lower photo. The one sitting on the dime. I have one of the airplane engines that is scrap. I was thinking about taking the Co2 delivery system and using it to run the tiny horizontal engine.

You think i could close a needle valve, and then charge the tank, and crack open the needle valve to regulate the volume?

That sounds like it could be made small.

Sure, I would think so. But a better plan might be to have two separate valves, one to close off the supply and the needle for the fine adjustments.

ksouers said:
Sure, I would think so. But a better plan might be to have two separate valves, one to close off the supply and the needle for the fine adjustments.

In your opinion, do you think this may be a waste of time? The air passages are only .013 holes and i am worried that they might freeze closed. Do you think the freezing might just stay local to the needle valve?

At the flow you will be running freezing of the lines is probably not going to be a problem. One thing to try is to make you lines a bit long - and use that as teh heat exchanger to warm the CO2 up. Longer lines will also stabilize the supply pressure after the needle valve by using the slight bit of volume to even out the pulses to the piston when the valve opens & closes. You can also get CO2 in larger tanks at Lowes (and probably other building supply stores) I think its a 24 ox tank - like the paintballers use for $23 - $15 of that is a deposit. A larger tank will give you a warmer supply of CO2 because you will not be using much volume - so not much cooling effect.

stevehuckss396 said:
In your opinion, do you think this may be a waste of time?

I can't make that call. I don't know what your full intent is or your needs are. Having a small cylinder of Co2 to carry around sure makes it easy to show off the models. No doubt about that. So in that vein I'd say it's worth it. I've had similar ideas using the disposable chargette cylinders used in pellet pistols. I don't think the regulator on such a small cylinder would be worth it though, but that's just me and my opinion. Co2 is easily regulated with just a needle valve.

As for freezing, I don't think you'll have to worry, Co2 is dry, no moisture at all as it's already been removed in the reduction process. The outside may get cold and may get a thin layer of frost, but inside will be dry.

CO2 is liquid in normal pressure containers (e.g., 900 psi, 75F). I use a 20# tank to re-inflate tires when offroading as well as occasional use to run air tools such as nail guns. One tank typically laste me about a year and costs ~$20 to refill at welding supply shops.

The gas does cool off considerably as pressure drops, and I will get frost on my supply line near the tank. However, with a long line frost does not form at the dispensing end.

For most uses my regulator is set at 90 psi, but it can be set considerably lower as needed.

If you act quicly Lowes has a C)2 regulator on sale this weekend. The bottle and gas are extra Dicks sporting goods has 20 oz bottles on sale for $ 19.99

Regulator kit
Tin

I was in a Homebrew store the other day getting Citric acid and they had a pretty good selection of CO2 regulators and tanks for that crowd.

Latest posts

Back