CNC questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still using the trial version of Mach3 which limits me to 150 lines of code. I plan on paying for the full version but now is not a good time. In order to get around the 150 line limit I use macros for repeat patterns wherever I can. I have tried several freeware cam systems with little success. So far sheetcam works the best but the instructions are pretty sketchy.

The only "CNC only" part I have produced was a helical gear. Pretty tough to do without specialized equipment. Normally I just put the part on the Bridgeport if I don't have to use the CNC. I have been thinking about a CNC lathe conversion though. -Mike

Continuously smoothly changing curves are hard without CNC. I hestitate to say it is impossible to do manually, but it approaches a level of difficulty where it may as well be impossible.

Arcs and most any straight line feature or hole can be done either manually or via CNC.

Here is a part that conceptually could be done manually, but boy it seems like a strain:

Hip3.jpg

Yet it would be quite easily done with CNC. You may conclude you'll never ever have to make anything that requires CNC. If you don't have CNC, it's quite likely you have never made anything that requires it. :big:

Best,

BW

kvom said:
I am wondering about the motivations for doing so.

My motiveation is to be able to produce parts for engines. Connecting rods for example, can be somewhat of a pain. With a CNC mill i can cut out some blanks and save some time. There are other times I wish i could have a CNC "whip off" something for me.
Also I could make 2 parts at a time. One CNC, and one manual.

Motivation

My long term goal is a smallish CNC

why?

not so much for modeling

but i make 25 of the same item in my small business then anothet lot a few weeks later

to have those parts in the computer

the ability to load a peice of steel into a mill and hit run and go do another task

hmmmm productivity.. theres my motoivation, less hours , more $

maybe a cnc for threading on a mini lathe.. making small screws and bolts for models

or other things

but all thats a few years off yet for me.

gotta pay for this setup yet ;D

otherwise i'd not want it ..

i like manual machining..

cheers

jack

I never thought I would be ever be interested in CNC machining at home.
The biggest reason for that was G-CODE
I operate CNC machines at work, and for many years it was Mazatrol programing.
Now I'm running an older machine that is Fanuc G-CODE.
Learning that programing code has bent my opinion a bit about the home CNC.
It's a hobby that supports a hobby.

It can also be the FASTEST way to crash a machine!
:big:

Rick

I thought I'd be able to hit go and walk away, but mostly I end up watching it... It may be the closest I'll get to having an army of Robot Minions to do my bidding ;)

John's article is spot on (and highly entertaining) as usual. I do like cranking out parts by hand, but sometimes you just don't have the time or skills or ...

I have just finished converting my X1 to full cnc. I did it because it should mill better than me, because it was a challenge to do it, because having converted it myself if something goes wrong I can fix it and because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Am I pleased?????????

You bet! I ran a fly cutter across a sheet of steel on the mill to smooth it off square to the cutter splindle. Do it by hand and see the finish....ridges and marks where the movement of a human hand, wrist and arm cannot turn a handle in a perfect controlled way. Let the mill do it with a stepper turning consistantly, accurately and at the same speed start to finish. No competition the mill wins every time.

My intention was that the mill works happily in the corner and I do something else. Best laid plans but so far the largest majority of "something else" is watching it do the work. It is fasinating. Its like a big boys version of the 'Etchasketch'. You try drawing a perfect circle with two knobs.

If you have the chance to experience CNC I say go for it and try.

Julian.

Back