Clever Mamod Mod..

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I attended the twyford waterworks open day on sunday and was talking to a chap with a table full of intersting models made from all sorts of bits. Mainly hot air.

He had an intersting little mamod engine wich can be seen in this video at 0.05 seconds for a while.

I am keen to make one of my own. He said it was in model engineer at some time but could anybody give me a heads up to any build notes, plans.. or has somone here done similar?

Many thanks in advance,

Will

Do you have the link to the video?

Andrew

Are you talking about the Walking beam Stirling engine in the background?

There are plans and kits available for this engine.
Not too sure about ones in England but i know that Grizzly in the States sells a kit for them.

Andrew

Not that one, the little mamod infront of it. Look at the cylinder closley and the piston.. it twists, or does something.. thats the arangement id like more info on. To ideally build my own!

Maybe i am mistaken but i do not really see it twisting.
Looks like He has modified the cylinder.

Andrew

Bowman Models made a twin cylinder engine in the 1950s that used this principle. There was a groove on each side of the piston, which twisted in its travel to open the inlet port on one side as the piston travelled down and the exhaust port on the other side as the piston returned.
Model Engineer described a single cylinder model called Twisty that used a similar concept. 1990s I believe.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Found this video that shows the action in slow motion but the clip is very short!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Va-8gZvPUA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Va-8gZvPUA[/ame]

Looks to be an interesting mechanism.

Cheers

John

steamdave said:
Bowman Models made a twin cylinder engine in the 1950s that used this principle. There was a groove on each side of the piston, which twisted in its travel to open the inlet port on one side as the piston travelled down and the exhaust port on the other side as the piston returned.
Model Engineer described a single cylinder model called Twisty that used a similar concept. 1990s I believe.
Dave
The Emerald Isle

I belive the builder of the model shown was responsible for that article. Would anyone have an idea to as an issue number?

Will

Cool collection of models and the real machines. Love the small-scale steam traction engines Thm:

Latest posts

Back