Clausing 8250 mill?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL!!!

Best part of it is that i have sold the Taig and will have the money for the mill soon!!!!! ;D :big: ;D
Thought i may have to wait a while for that to sell....

Andrew

Another question...

The mill is coming with a 220V 3 Phase motor.
I have 110V single pahse power in my basement.
Can i just change the motor to a 110V one, same speed as the 220V one?

If i do that what can i add to control the speed so that i do not have to change belts and pulley
configurations?

Looking at VFD's it seems i will need a transformer to get what it has now to work.

Thanks,

Andrew

Dont change the motor, single phase motors cannot have their speed controlled.

VFDs are real cheap now. A friend just got one that is rated 1hp, 120v input, 240v output for $120. You do not need anything else, just hook the VFD to the power line, well, you do need an on/off switch, but an ordinary house switch will work just fine.

If you are in the US I have found the best place to get a VFD is dealerselectric.com

Download this book.
"Workshop Practice Series - 16 Electric Motors" at this site.
http://www.filecrop.com/workshop-practice-series.html

It contains everything you need to know about operating 3-phase motors on single phase power supplies.

I worked in a job shop that did not have 3-phase power available. The Shop owner had a huge 3-phase motor that was used as a phase converter. He had a 12" trailer wheel and tire attached to the motor shaft. Every morning we would go out to that motor and start it rotating with the tire acting as a flywheel. After we got it moving we would throw the breaker switch to on and it would start spinning up to speed. All the machines in the shop with 3-phase motors were wired up to it and ran just fine on it including a couple of CNC machines.

Thanks for the replies!

The local guy i was talking to told me i would need a transformer to convert the 110V to 220V single phase
and then have that going into the VFD to convert it to 220V 3 phase.
Seemed a bit odd to me.
I remember seeing 11V to 220V 3phase vfd's.

I have the whole series in book form, just need to read them.
Now seems like a good time to read the motor one!
Thanks!

Andrew

RonGinger said:
VFDs are real cheap now. A friend just got one that is rated 1hp, 120v input, 240v output for $120. You do not need anything else, just hook the VFD to the power line, well, you do need an on/off switch, but an ordinary house switch will work just fine.

If you are in the US I have found the best place to get a VFD is dealerselectric.com

You don't need to be in the US to order from them. I'm in Ontario too and I ordered my VFD from them (a 3HP unit for my mill). You just need to email or call them as the online ordering doesn't work for us Canadians.

I also put in place a rocker, fused disconnect box on the input to my vfd. I use it to shut everything down when I'm done for the day. The VFD is used to control the motor (Fwd/off/rev).

Mike

Mike

FWIW, the 110v upconverting VFDs stop around 1 HP as you aren't supposed to pull more than that out of your typical socket/circuit.

shred said:
FWIW, the 110v upconverting VFDs stop around 1 HP as you aren't supposed to pull more than that out of your typical socket/circuit.

Thanks Shred!
I think it either has a 1/2 or max 3/4 hp motor.
I am leaning towards a 1/2 horse though

Andrew

VFD question!

If the motor is a 1/2hp do i need to get a VFD that is bigger that that?

1/2hp motor - 3/4hp VFD??

I am only planning on running the mill from it.

Andrew

Andrew

I think you will like your mill. I had an 8520 rebuilt it and a month later along came an 8530 in mint condition. So I now have an 8530. I Have VFD's on a Series 1 BP and on the 8530, and on a 7.5HP Quincy air compressor. They are real easy. I took the single phase motor off the 8530 and purchased a 3 phase for it along ithe a VFD.

I have purchased all my vfd's from Dealers Electric, I have Westinghouse TECO's no problems. I have never purchased a VFD with out speaking to the sales people at Dealers's. I have always told them just what the motor is from the motor plate (all the data), told them what power I had access to 110 or 220 single phase in my case. They told me which VFD fit my application. The Compressor was tricky and they called Westinghouse and came back with a model different than was originally discussed. Point is do not guess - work with them. Also there are several versions. I buy the ones that have a speed pot built into the VFD, start stop on the panel, and remoting ability. More dollars but more options. They will tell you thebasics of how to wire it up. Basically power line to the unit, unit output to the motor ( no switch in the output side!!). Also the TECO support staff will help if you run into a setup issue.

Good Luck

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob!
As soon as the mill gets here and i have the motor info i will contact them.

Good to know there are still some helpful suppliers out there!

Andrew

I upsized-mine just for future-proofing, but as near as I can tell you don't have to de-rate the VFDs that are designed for 110v in (some that do both 110 and 220 in are different)

Been talking to the guys at dealerselectric about VFD's.

They recommend using a 1HP one since the motor is actually 3/4HP.
They are recommending their most popular model:
http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?cID=28&PID=428

I will go with this one, it also has the variable speed pot on the front which will be quite handy!

Also been looking around at MT2 tooling.
Found that you can get a MT2 to R8 adapter that is precision ground.
So i can use my R8 tooling!!! ;D
May loose a bit of head room though...

I will be collecting it in two weeks time as the guy is away this weekend... :(
Hope the weather is good so that i can disassemble it and get it down into the basement quickly!

Andrew

The VFD does not have reverse.
But the mill does have one of those controls for FWD-OFF-REVERSE on it.
Should be able to use that with a bit of wiring wizardry!

Andrew

Sorry but you won't be able to do that...With a VFD you remove all of the original control/control electrical components. You will run a power input into the unit and run a power output to your motor and all will be controlled by the front panel on the VFD. If it has the capability you can use remote mounted control switches or remote mount the control face which I would recommend so you don't have this big "thing" up in your way all the time and also to keep the unit clean. I put a Teco on my big mill several years ago that I bought from Dealers at NAMES and it has worked flawless, also have a Hitachi on my lathe but I prefer the Teco, great unit!!
Just my opinion, Robert

Back