Clausing 8250 mill?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I' pretty sure that VFD will be able to run in reverse. My Tecos all do. You can wire the machine fwd/rev switches to be VFD inputs and use them like an external control panel, but do not put any switches on the 3P after the VFD or bad things will happen sooner or later.

Yes, you can hook it up, but if you ever switch it with the VFD on it will be instant 'end of life' for the VFD.

Why would you do this? I have never seen a vfd that did not have the ability to run the motor in either direction. most even have a Forward/Reverse button on the control panel.

I am just researching all of my options for now.
That post interested me because someone seems to
have achieved what I inquired about and was told it
was not possible.

Most likely I will wire in the vfd in the traditional way.
Keep the drum switch for another project!

Andrew

You can use the factory switch but you have to use the remote wiring terminals if equipped, you cannot switch the main motor output power wires on and off...

Saturday morning at 10am is when the mill is being delivered!!!

Then comes the disassembly to get it downstairs and the big clean up and reassembly...
Might not get it totally back together this weekend as i will clean and inspect as much of it as i can.
Going to be a good few hours of elbow grease involved! ;D

Oh and the honey do list just got longer!
I was informed of this when i mentioned what was going on Saturday morning....

Andrew

That would appear to be the optimum time to extend the Honey do list....about 5 minutes before the already planed activity is about to start... ::)

Dave

" Saturday morning at 10am is when the mill is being delivered!!! "

Well? ;D

Peter

Catminer said:
" Saturday morning at 10am is when the mill is being delivered!!! "

Well? ;D

Peter

Peter

I bet he got so excited that he forgot all about us in the cheering section. :big: :big:

Cheers :)

Don

;D Due to the snow it arrived around 11:30.
I did remember to take some pictures though!
Will post them tomorrow!

Took about an hour to disassemble and get it downstairs.
Not too bad all things considered.

Spent the rest of the day taking the whole mill apart for a good cleaning!
It is in many pieces at the moment...

Only thing I could find wrong with it was that a spring washer
is missing!

Still have the cabinet to clean up.

Most of the rust was very light surface rust and came off really easily.
A very busy day with more to come tomorrow!

Andrew

Here's a little teaser!!!

It came with a Palmgren vise!
Looks like a drill press vise....
P1020790.jpg

Here are a lot of the parts all cleaned!
They are coated with a rust and corrosion protective coat for now.
It is a blend of oil and wax.
P1020792.jpg

If you look at earlier pics you will see how rusted the one part was and how shiny it is now!!!

More tomorrow!
Bed time now!
That was a hard days work!

Andrew

Correction, it is a milling vise!!!
It just needs a good cleaning and some new jaw inserts and it will be ready to work again!

SWMBO came downstairs to see what i was up to and made a few comments.
She did not like the colour of the mill.
Some of the machine grey had worn off and the white primer was showing through.
No big deal to me since it is just surface and does not affect the way the mill will work.

Apparently that was not a good enough answer....
So out with the degreaser, rust remover, paint stripper and TriSodium Phosphate...

So far i have the knee all stripped down and primed.
The front door of the cabinet is also primed.
Still a long way to go....
But it will be good once it is all done and back together! ;D

Any recommendations on paint in Canada??
Looking for something that can be brushed on and is very hard when dry.
Research on the forums has shown Alkyd Enamel paints and oil based paints.
Also looking at implement and equipment enamel paint from TSC stores.

Will post pics of parts when done or of anything interesting!

The gears in the head are all in pristine condition, which is very good!
The little bit of play i felt in the tables was due to the leadscrew nuts being loose!

Andrew

I moved up from an X2 to an 8530 a couple months ago and I love it. It had a bent spindle and I was able to get a new one from Clausing, but it wasn't cheap. I'm interested in how your VFD works out. Mine's 110V but if it can be done cheap enough I might consider converting so I can have variable speed. Probably won't, but still interested. The only thing I wish was different about it is the X-axis could be an inch more.

I have heard many good things about TSC paints. I've been using Rustoleum with good results thus far.

Dave

I used rustoleum on my lathe a couple months ago and it seems to be holding up well.

You just dove right in on this one didn't you?

Makes me want to go out and rip mine apart and paint it up too!!

VFD feature thats nice is the brake. It saves a lot of waiting around for the motor to spin down. Get one with a brake option. The brake feature is a lot like a cruise control on your car, you don't know how much you'll like it until you have one. After that you can't live without it.

Thank you all for the replies!!!

Jared: If your motor is 11V you will need to swap it for a 220V 3 phase one and get the corresponding VFD. Another cheaper option would be to find a second hand variac transformer. This will allow you to control the speed of the motor. Not as efficient as a VFD and you may lose a lot of torque.

Steamer: I used restoleum on a lathe i restored and found it to not get rock hard. I could still leave finger nail marks in the paint a few months later. Maybe just a bad batch? I think i will try a small can of the TSC paint, may also get a can of black to darken the grey a bit.

Sic Semper Tyrannis; The best way to get to know a machine is to take it apart! ;D Although i have to admit this sucker has a LOT of parts!!! Everything seems to be in good condition though. The bearings are a bit sticky with the old grease having congealed. Any ideas on how to get it out of the bearings?

jpeter: The VFD i am looking at has the option to add a braking resistor to it, so that may be an option i will test in the future. I am so far away from thinking about that for now though...

For anyone else reading this!
All of the bearings have old, congealed grease in them. Their action is very jerky and not smooth.
Is there a way to get the old grease out? Instead of buying new bearings?
I have them soaking in kerosene at the moment.
I have read about using carb cleaner too? Any info on this?

Andrew

Jared: If your motor is 11V you will need to swap it for a 220V 3 phase one and get the corresponding VFD. Another cheaper option would be to find a second hand variac transformer. This will allow you to control the speed of the motor. Not as efficient as a VFD and you may lose a lot of torque.

Most mills like the Clausing use an induction motor. An induction motor cannot be speed controlled by a variac. Only a universal motor- one with brushes- can be controlled, and as you mention with low torque. If you connect a variac to an induction motor you will likely burn the motor coils.

Latest posts

Back