Clausing 8250 mill?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to have lost a post... must have pressed the wrong button.

Do you think that the 6 inch scales are long enough for all the axes?
I would think a longer one would be required for the x?

I had a look on the Grizzly site and they only seem to come in 6 inch lengths.

Andrew

6" is definitely not long enough for X axis. I think I got 24" and cut it to about 18". They cut easily with Dremel metal cutting wheel. Big waste of $$ but what you gonna do? I'll check what I got and post it tomorrow.

Ordered a MT2 to ER-25 adapter!
Should be about a week or so!
Just in time for the VFD installation.

Andrew

Just got an email that my VFD is ready to collect!
Placed the order yesterday morning and they had to get it from the States!!
Now that is what i call service!!!!

Price was the same as if i was ordering from dealerselectric.
I would have been charged the import duties with them though, so i actually saved some money!
$196 CAD, not too bad!!!

Andrew

Andrew,
The DRO sizes you will need are approximately 6" for Y" axis, and 18" for X axis, but that is travel, not length. You lose about 5" in the brackets and the slider, so the DRO's need to be about 23" and 11" overall. So, buy a 24" (there is no nominal 18") and a 6" (is actually 12" long overall) and you will have what you need.
Mosey

Good going Andrew Thm:.

Mosey's right - when you buy scales, check that the travel length is as long as - or slightly longer than - the axis on which you want to mount it. Overall length will be longer than that, depending on how wide the mounting points are and the width of the read head. I can't wait for mine to arrive; should be here in about two weeks ;D

Sic Semper Tyrannis said:
What is the size range of an ER25? Is there a better size? ER40? ER32?
Hi Sic - the ER25 clamping range is 1 to 16mm. As to a "better size" - that depends on what you want to use the collets for. ER32 and ER40 can take bigger sizes - so you have to look at the sizes available and decide what would suit most of your work and your machines. I originally settled on ER25 for my lathe's collet chuck based on two factors: price (if you're broke you're broke!), and the fact that my ML7 lathe can only pass 16mm stock through the spindle anyway. For bigger work I use the 3 or 4 jaw chucks.
My milling machine can comfortably run ER40, but as I already have the ER25 range, I built a collet chuck for it to use those; saves spending on another range of collets. I did find that on the smaller sizes (less than 6mm) things got difficult to clamp with the ER25 - the ER32 and ER40 will have this problem as well, so I actually bought a set of ER11 collets and made a small chuck I can use with those.

Kind regards, Arnold

Looking good Andrew. I found a place up in Markham that has a pretty good selection of tooling http://www.accusizetools.ca/
Take a look at them as they have some DRO's that may work for you. I have not used them yet but am seriously considering them for my big Tos Fn25. Prices are good.

Tom

lazylathe said:
I contacted Clausing about a month ago and have not heard back from them...
Doubtful if parts are available again.

I was able to get a spindle for my 8530 back in December. I sent them an email and IIRC I got a reply in a couple days. Certainly not a month.

Hi Jared,

If you still have the persons contact details at Clausing that would be great!!
I am sure Mosey, myself and a few others would be greatly appreciative!!!

Andrew

Becky at Clausing informed me today that lead screw nuts are unavailable for the 8500 series. Boo, hoo.

Rats! I was looking at mine. They're in pretty good shape but they didn't look like they would be too hard to make. Only thing is a chunk of brass or bronze wouldn't be cheap!

Especially in Port Angeles.
I think making a lead screw nut of the precision required is beyond my capabilties. Can you do it?

I sent off an email requesting a list of available spares if possible.
When they reply i will post it here!!
Hopefully they have something we could use!

Andrew

Well no list of spares available...
You have to supply the number of the part and they will check.

I asked about the leadscrew nuts.
The x and y are not available but the Z is still available.
$132 each!!!

One nice thing that they did supply me with was drawings for the X and Y axis nuts!!
I have attached them for anyone interested!

Andrew

View attachment 537-016.PDF

View attachment 537-018.PDF

Mosey said:
Especially in Port Angeles.
I think making a lead screw nut of the precision required is beyond my capabilties. Can you do it?

Way-ull, when you put it that way... I dunno, I ain't never tried it. That precision thing kinda throws a wrench in the gears.

I had the same issue with my Clausing, the factory parts were way out of my budget. I bought screw stock and cast nuts from http://www.wedin.com/catalog.pdf Their web site has some of the worst flash graphics to get into it Ive seen.

I had to turn the end of the screw and machine the base of the nut, but as I recall teh stock was relatively cheap and it wasnt to hard to get right. i did get a friend to help, with a bigger lathe,

Back