Champion No. 2 High speed drill...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTin

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have had one of the above for many years, but cannot find anything on the net about them at all. My old chum who left it to me described it as a sensitive feed drill and I have used t years ago to do just that.
I gave it to my son and alas he simply put it under his bench to get damp and rust, so now it is part of a growing list of very old machine tools which need restoring. Almost a new hobby!
My other son brought round an Adept No 2 shaper today which will need some work!

Has anyone any dealings with the Champion drill?

Cheers,
Martin

Baz,
I was going to send you to the same place as I can't make better pictures.
Mine also has some mods that would suggest somebody once tried to give it power or auto feed.

Herbiev, that'#s the American company. Mine is proudly "Made in England". I have found just one photo on the net and that's not quite the same.

Martin

Well, waddaya know? Just been taking mine apart for a good de-rust and clean up and I find this!:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BENCH-DRILL-STAND-/172148638680?hash=item2814dbc3d8:g:f7QAAOSwxcRW9~ex

And I can tell you it's worth a great deal more than that!! This is a very well made machine for smaller drilling. I used it regularly for precision modelmaking before I gave it to my son, who didn't use it, hence the de-rust, but he's got some cheapo Eastern thing and brought the Champion back to me. Can't bring myself to paint it battleship grey or the washed out shade it was repainted n, but I do have some nice very dark green cellulose, so that's what it'll get.

Martin

Hi there, a couple of coats of Heritage Green will look great, a lot of the Vintage Engines are painted with it.

Heritage Green, nailin? What sort of shade is that?

Martin

Hmmm, I think I'll stick with my Mid Brunswick Green, a.k.a. Lotus. Lighter than BRG and more yellowy. I have a tin of good old HMG enamel that colour and you've just reminded me, but......green for a machine tool? I really don't think it goes.
If I could get that greenish grey that Spitfire interiors and C-Type Jag insides are painted I would go with that. And that would go nicely with the light blue of the Adept shaper. If I had an age to invest, I would polish the all alloy belt guard, but it wouldn't stay like that for long.

I am nearly ready for the big cellulose wipe off and scrape/sand. Some of the old paint is VERY thick.

Martin

That's the one Michael, thanks. 2 for sale on ebay currently, oddly, but mine has a cast alloy pulley guard with a nice etched alloy printed label on the front, fixed with two "drivets", which, to my amazement, punched out, no trouble from behind. I've never seen this addition to a Champion before.
My friend, whose workshop I benefitted from when he died had the drill next to his Lorch Instrument maker's lathe, which speaks for itself really. Before I gave the drill to my No 1 son to ignore, I used it for some very fine work indeed. No idea where the old motor went, alas!

Cheers,
Martin

Latest posts

Back