Question from Hoppy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I am at presnt re-arranging my workshop and need some advice, I recently suffered a below knee amputation which has left me wheelchair bound, my chair is the type that can have you seated at a normal height ie table. or lift me to approx 18 inches higher still seated. I have an AL320
lathe (Aust) and a HM32 mill drill which I would like to return to using. Do any of the members have opinions as to which
machinery height woul be better up or down? Should mention that I am a returning member after an absence of some 2 years but
cannot for the life of me remember my old username

I believe there are members on this forum with similar needs that they have adapted to and I hope they can be more helpful than what follows.

I have to preface this with the fact that I don't have your issues. I do have some thoughts.

I don't know where you live, but in the US you may have access to resources that help busines cope with the ADA standards. You can download the dimensions the law uses from the internet, but I don't have the link.

In your place, I would attempt to mock up various heights with tables, blocks of wood, etc. (NOT with the machines or anything heavy.) You could do this and I have done this for myself when designing work areas in the past: This will at least get you a starting point.

With starting height established, I would design and have built benches a little shorter than you have decided and put heavy-duty adjustable feet under the legs, most of the ones I have seen will give you at least three inches of adjustment.

If your final height is too low, then you could add a "riser" between the bench top and the machine to get it higher.

I am aware of the adjustable wheelchairs, but I have not seen one in person. I would think lower would be more stable than raised, but I can't say more than that is a guess.

Here's to wishing you a continued shop life.

--ShopShoe

Hi Paul, As I am fully able, I cannot imagine how to approach a lathe with a wheel chair. Please forgive me.
But yesterday I was in discussion with a friend because my lathe is almost too high... The bench is at elbow height when I stand straight, so the lathe centre is nearly at shoulder height.
BUT it saves my back from bending (slipped disc when I was 25 and a lifetime of "glass-back" and muscle problems).
I do however get tired shoulders, as the hand wheels mean my hands are above my elbows.
It is a small (7in swing) lathe, and I don't do big jobs anyway, so lifting a fist sized lump of material isn't a real issue.
My friend told me that his uncle had a stoop from being 50-odd "because of bending over his lathe" (his full-time job as a turner). And he wasn't a particularly tall chap.
My wife has a bent back - a sewing machinist for 40-odd years - which is very common for retiring sewing machinists.
But this tale may give you an idea of how a "higher positioned" lathe suits...?
K2

Looking down at 15 degrees from the horizontal seems to hold your head and spine in a position that you can hold for quite some time without getting stretched or tired. This goes both for standing up and sitting down. Most machinetools and work desks do not comply with this simple rule. The special high watchmakers stand is an exception. When you raise the tabletop to comply you will find that you have ample space for a wheelchair. As a matter of fact Siemens Windpower, the employer of my son, has issued to COVID homeworkers special work desks that are electrically adjustable in height for this very purpose. Enclosed are pictures of 1) my milling machine with its raiser of about one foot 2) my workshop desk for small jobs with settop desk 3) the home desk of my son.

Milling machine on raiser.JPG
Settop desk.JPG
Adjustable home workdesk .JPG

Sorry for your condition I don’t need a wheel chair yet but I still have mobility issuesCould you sit I/on a roll around hydraulic stool ? There te shaped seat ones too . I use a standard one for many things they have casters on them maybe use two wrist canes to move around if you can’t use feet

Hi guys.
I am at presnt re-arranging my workshop and need some advice, I recently suffered a below knee amputation which has left me wheelchair bound, my chair is the type that can have you seated at a normal height ie table. or lift me to approx 18 inches higher still seated. I have an AL320
lathe (Aust) and a HM32 mill drill which I would like to return to using. Do any of the members have opinions as to which
machinery height woul be better up or down? Should mention that I am a returning member after an absence of some 2 years but
cannot for the life of me remember my old username
I suggest that whatever position your eyes should be above the work for a full field of view. You might want to consider where your controls are located for easy access to the emergency stop or for that matter any control switches. Might consider lowering the equipment to allow you to use it comfortably. I suspect once you set the shop up for you it will provide several hours of enjoyment. Make sure you consider how close to the work you need to be as a wheel chair will put you away from your work at least two feet or more. Also there should be engineering books that delve into designing for wheel chairs which should have clearances and other ideas There has been quite a bit of architectural thought in the last few years on this subject. I do hope you find good solutions.
HMEL

One thing that fights wheels is machining chips . A short narrowed broom might help you push them out ofvthe way stringy stuff will still be an issue . This can be cured with proper chip breaker tools . I often use something like a cut off tool on its ts side grind appropriate angle so chips break when they hit it . You might have to experiment with these using some stringy material . I hate Bird nests strings so go to lengths to prevent these. Milling chips seem to get stuck in wheeled things making in your case hard operation I surely would recommend leather gloves maybe even meat cutter chain mail gloves . I could see chips getting lodged in wheels presenting very dangerous hand work I use a cane these are subject to chips in the rubber cup ends this causes slippage if you have to put weight on the thing it’s like walking on ice . Just an observation working with service dogs is that wheel chairs seem excessive wide . May be narrowing it so your rear end just barely fits . Could narrow it 3-4” quite a bit actually without losing stability . A service dog in the shop is goingvto need special care there are various doggy boots that we used on K 9 dogs dogs don’t like these but if introduced at a young age they get used to them my big German Shepherd K 9 patrol dog probably never got really comfortable with them he still got a very nasty cut in a dark building apprehension a nail pierced the booty and a pad then into his leg . He limped a round a few days but did recover.

Anyway good experience keep us advised

Latest posts

Back