ceramic burner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentprop

Reaction score
I came across an LPG cabinet heater with a dud ignitor.I became the owner for the princely sum of $1 :).
Having got my treasure home,I proceeded to dismantle the heater,and came up with some interesting stuff.
This type of heater has the regulator and ignition switch all rolled into one:

Picture004.jpg

This is not a lot of use to me,but I just showed it to let you see what we've got here.
Here is the potentially useful bit,the ceramic elements:

Picture003.jpg

There is 1 single element(broken),and a double.I put the broken edge to a belt sander,and it comes off beautifully smooth.I think I like this stuff ;D
There are 2 jets,1 for each element,According to the label,the small one is .68mm,and the larger one.86mm.

Picture007.jpg

When examining the jets a bit closer,I found they were marked 62 and 88.Now I don't know what to think re jet size.But in any case,they will be too big for a burner for my boiler:

Picture010.jpg

I've studied all the previous threads on burner design,but I haven't seen anything on using these type of elements.They are available commercially,but at a high cost.
Having laid out a whole dollar,I have not much to lose.
I understand that these elements need an air supply as well as the gas .But the commercial ones seem to have a rather large casing under the element,around 1" high.Is this really necessary?A slightly lower one would be better under my boiler.
The elements were fitted in their Box with some type of cord around the perimeter,and a rubbery type sealant was used to seal the corners.Could I substitute silicone windscreen sealant or similar for this?
The gas was supplied to the element's chambers by some nice alloy tubing ,which I kept as well:

Picture006.jpg

There was one little item in the electrical circuit I didn't recognize.It's a round thing,about 5/16th diameter,fitted in a plastic housing:

Picture005.jpg

Anybody have a clue what this is,or what it does?I don't think I need it,since I will light a burner manually,but inquiring minds want to know :big:.
For those of you who are still awake,thanks for wading through.

Nice find Hans. Is that bottom bit some sort of thermostat?

I think that's the thermocouple safety cut-off device. When you light the burner, you have to press the valve to keep it open until the thermocouple has been heated enough to keep it open by itself. If the burner goes out by accident, it will shut the gas after a few seconds.

Hi

I can't offer any help but I am keen to see this topic taken further. I think I have just about exhausted my research into spirit burners so gas is the next type on the list. Keep it coming.

Cheers

Rich

Hi bentrop
As Noitoen said the wire is the thermocouple safety cutoff device and the other one (black) from a plastic device seams to be a piezoelectric spark device. If I remember well the number on the jet nozzle means not the diameter but the flow...liters per minute.
Best regards
Paolo

Hi.

Sorry to dredge up a long-dead topic, but I was wondering what ever became of the ceramic burner. AFAIK, the ceramic acts as a flameholder, and should provide extremely even heat to whatever is above (or below) it. We own a restaurant, and our "salamander" broiler has a large ceramic burner that holds a perfect low blue flame. I was wondering how well something similar would work for a steam boiler. Alternately, modern wood stoves have a catalytic block of impregnated ceramic in the flue that catylizes (?) flammable gasses before they can escape into the atmosphere. IIRC, they have small amounts of platinum in them, which may auto-ignite propane (more reading definitely required).

Thanks.

J.D.

Latest posts

Back