Central Machine Model 33686

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royal Viking

Reaction score
Someone is selling this drill/mill for $500.

central machine model 33686

I read the recent post's on some other machines and this one seems large in comparison. I am wondering if it would work for this hobby or if it is too large? Is it considered a good model, accuracy, and so on?

Too large is not a problem if you have room for it .
IIRC George Brinell has one like it or similar. and has done fine work on it.
There are guys that use bridgeports for hobby use.
Tin

It is a fair sized Bench Mill/Drill. Go to Harbor Freight and look up 33686 and you will see the specifications and price about 1200 dollars and with the 25percent off, it is about 900 bucks. ironman

Does the round column cause problems holding its center point if you have to raise or lower it during a job? Not trying to bash the machine, I just recall reading somewhere that was a problem with this type of mill. (I have never owned or used one, just read a lot when I was looking at a new mill last summer)

I can not comment on the accuracy of machine but I can comment on size.
I use a grizzly mill a knock off of a Bridgeport mill and as Tin stated if you have the room go for it.

I am thinking of going to see it. It's about an hour away from where I live. Of course, for me, that is like taking a car for a test drive. I end up buying it.

rcmadness said:
Does the round column cause problems holding its center point if you have to raise or lower it during a job?

Yes, is the simple answer :) No matter how careful you are, when you crank the lift handle the head tends to shift around the post. My fix is a simple wishbone attached to a second ring at the base, so the head can still be rotated around the post if necessary (see http://billtodd.dyndns.org/drillmill). Cranking the handle also used to hurt my shoulder (one too many bike accidents) so I added a motor/gearbox to do it for me.

Bill

wishbone stabiliser for mill-drill.gif

rcmadness, thanks for the question on the round post. I hadn't given it a thought. My last experience with a mill was with a bridgeport in high school.

Bill, The fix looks simple enough. (I noted your comment on locating the upper attachments)

Latest posts

Back