Casting parts for Westbury's Whippet engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willburrrr2003

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am starting on my first cast engine build. I will be making all my own patterns and castings. I have been working on a mini-lathe conversion to CNC, and this is the first chance since I moved to get it set back up and going again. I am looking forward to getting into the actual machining of my engine parts, as that is when I get satisfaction from all the work I have put into my mini CNC lathe :D .

It has been awhile since I have done any casting. I will be rebuilding the lid for my little Gingery style foundry, and getting my foundry operational again.

While getting the Foundry operational, I will be making patterns for the engine block and it's associated core. This will be my most complicated casting to date, especially with the sand core needed. I am sure this will be frustrating and lots of fun for me to :p. I will post pics of progress for the castings here, and once I have good castings I will start a work in progress thread for the machining and building of the engine, while showing castings and patterns for the individual pieces here in this thread.

Regards,

Will Riddle
Everett, WA. USA

Attached is a pic I found on the net of the block casting for the Whippet. I hope to get mine to look this good as I make it ;)

Regards,

Will Riddle
Everett, WA. USA

wp_pat.jpg

Vince,

Thanks for the link, turns out that link has the same pic I found on the net for the casting pattern above, It's on the page for the engine block. The rest of the build pages there contain a wealth of information that I am sure will help me in my build!!

Regards,

Will Riddle
Everett, WA. USA

Good morning all, I am about to start making the split pattern for my engine block. I know that there is shrinkage, and that I should oversize the pattern. The question is how much should I oversize the pattern to compensate for this? I have been reading the plans for days now and think I have a good understanding of the shapes and functions of each section of the engine. This will be my most complicated casting shape to date, and my first sand cored casting ever :eek: .... sounds like it will be fun :D

Regards,

Will Riddle
Everett, WA. USA

The question is how much should I oversize the pattern to compensate for this?

I add 1% for aluminium and the castings are dead on.
For example measure a part today that should be 70 mm. It was 70.04 mm.

Nick

typically shrinkage is 1% for iron and 2% for aluminum.

Latest posts

Back