Cast Iron source

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustkolector

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Is there a small quantity source for Meehanite, or another high quality cast iron rod for making piston rings? From experience, what is considered the best grade of iron for piston rings? All I find is standard gray iron, or continuously cast class 40 (maybe the same stuff).

Also, is ductile iron a desirable material for multicylinder model engine crankshafts, or possibly piston rings?

Jeff

Have no idea were you are located so it may be tough to get answer!
If you are in the US. This outfit sell the cast iron piston rings and at the shows sell slugs and sections of cast iron. Haven't looked but they are usually at NAMES in Toledo every year. http://deboltmachine.com/index.html
glen

One common trade name is DuraBar. It comes in a wide range of sizes, Ive seen 1" dia and it comes up to about 18"

Many local steel suppliers will carry it- I always got mine from Peterson Steel in Worcester MA. It is also stocked by McMaster Carr and I think MSC

It is truly beautiful stuff to machine. Its dirty, but it cuts very nice. I made a prop shaft coupling for a small tugboat with a variable pitch prop. I started with 2 pieces 6" dia and 6" long, weighing about 35 pounds. The finished part weighed 18 pounds. I made a huge pile of chips.

Latest posts

Back