cast iron or steel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

Today at work I had to fit a pair of these wishbones.

The ball joints are worn out but as with a lot of things these days you have to fit the whole thing and throw the rest away. I was just wondering if they are cast iron then some usefull lumps can be cut from them. How do I tell if it is cast iron or steel???

Cheers

Rich

Firebird
I was going to say try Google for spark test of metals But having seen this on you tube whilst good for showing the sparks, I was not to happy with the gap on the grinding wheel to tool rest
Dave Bick

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5qFa-ws7vI[/ame]

A better Utube for the question asked

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R1Y6_g0DU8[/ame]

Hi Rich
I used to work for a company which use to produce these components
(Quinton Hazels) and all the ball joints where made from steel. But i could not tell you what grade of steel is used. Hope this helps a little.

Ken

Yes the balljoint itself is made from steel (with a nylon insert around the ball) but the arm itself can be made from just about anything including aluminium (I have a couple to melt down now). Best do the grind test, its easy enough.

Artie

Look for casting flash around the part. Better yet, look at the parting line (the line where the two halves of the mold or die meet). Casting will typically have a rather wide parting line (1/16"+ maybe), and forging very narrow.

I would bet on forged steel, but no idea what alloy.

Kevin

Hi

Thanks for all the tips gentlemen. I am going to stick it in the band saw this afternoon and cut a lump off and then do a grind test. I'll report back later.

cheers

Rich

firebird said:
Hi

Today at work I had to fit a pair of these wishbones.

The ball joints are worn out but as with a lot of things these days you have to fit the whole thing and throw the rest away. I was just wondering if they are cast iron then some usefull lumps can be cut from them. How do I tell if it is cast iron or steel???

Cheers

Rich
Hi rich , I have a piece almost the same i think it is steel and i do know it machines very well with a close grain, i have used several pieces over the last few months ( i now have two others) and was very pleased with the results and they cost nothing.
regards coldte

Hi

It is steel I think. I cut a lump off the end and it cuts like steel.

On the grinder.

I'll cut a couple of bits off and chuck it under the bench for another day.

cheers

Rich

Latest posts

Back