Carolina Bandsaw Restoration

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinkum

Reaction score
Here is my latest addition to the machine shop. I was picking up some wood from a guy's place who was cleaning up and this little beauty was sitting sadly next to his shed. When I asked him if he was getting rid of it he told me I could have it. I have decided to restore it. I want to paint it etc., not just get it running.

Currently I have taken the base apart and I am doing electrolytic rust removal on the top part (of the base). I think I will still sandblast it if possible though because the electrolysis leaves a lot of black gunk behind.

I would be most greatful for any tips etc. in restoring it.

compressed DSCF5233.jpg

compressed DSCF5236.jpg

compressed DSCF5237.jpg

compressed DSCF5239.jpg

I have one of those myself, bought it a year or so ago off ebay as a non-runner (needs a motor and wiring) cheap at $150. Its sitting in the corner waiting until I get a round tuit. I'll be interested in following your progress.

IMG_0034-3.jpg

Cool!

Could you please tell me if yours has a hydraulic ram thing to control the speed of the head's drop? I think mine is missing something like that.

Yes do a proper job of painting. you will likely need a bearing / blade guide rebuild kit. I would guess all the bbs are shot and likely the motor. A shame stuff like that gets left in the weather. I am sure it was and can be again a nice saw.
Tin

It certainly looks like it needs new bearings. I'm not sure about the motor. One of my neighbours is an industrial electrician and he reckons it might be alright. He said that if nobody started it up while it had water in it it has a good chance of being ok.

Finally some pics: (I didn't sandblast it myself)

sandblasted 1.jpg

sandblasted 2.jpg

sandblasted 3.jpg

Dinkum said:
It certainly looks like it needs new bearings. I'm not sure about the motor. One of my neighbours is an industrial electrician and he reckons it might be alright. He said that if nobody started it up while it had water in it it has a good chance of being ok.

While in the US Navy we had an accident which completely filled a space with fresh water we were taking on. There were 6 electric motors in that space which were completely immersed for several hours. We removed all the motors and placed them in an oven and 'cooked' them at 175 degrees for 2 hours. All 6 were still performing properly when I left that ship 5 years later.

Latest posts

Back